Skip to main content
New Students

Advice and Counselling

Worried about settling into university life? We've got you covered.

Advice and Counselling

The Advice and Counselling Service provides a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support students and applicants.

You can find out more about what services we offer on the Advice and Counselling Service website, and contact us via our web form.

We have a team of Counsellors to support you with emotional and personal issues. Our Counsellors offer a range of confidential support for students, including face-to-face and online counselling, group counselling, as well as a variety of psychological groups and workshops. 

We understand and recognise that we have a diverse student population who experience a range of challenges that might bring them to our service. We aim for all our team to be a culturally informed and sensitive however recognise that some of our students would feel more comfortable working with a counsellor who aligns with their identity and experiences.

If you would like to see a counsellor from a specific background or gender, please do request this in your form. Although it is not always possible we will try our best to accommodate you within the capacity of the service and/or assist with an external referral that may be better placed to meet your request. 

Please note during very busy periods, specific requests may unfortunately result in a longer delay in being seen so you may wish to instead request the first available appointment and discuss specific requests/ onward referrals during that meeting.

Our Wellbeing Advisors support students with managing everyday difficulties that may be impacting on their overall wellbeing and mental health.

Our Mental Health Advisors provide practical support and interventions to help a student manage their diagnosed mental health condition. They can also advise students with no existing diagnosis of mental health condition but are experiencing mental health difficulties.

The Sexual Assault and Harassment Adviser (SAHA)s are specialist advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service who provide emotional and practical support to any student who has experienced sexual assault or harassment, whether that’s happened recently or in the past. They can support you whether this happened at University or not.

Welfare and International Student Advisers provide advice and guidance about financial, legal, practical and immigration issues during your studies. They can provide advocacy and representation if your situation is more complicated. They offer specialist support to care experienced and estranged studentsstudents who are carers and students with a forced migration background. We also support students in situations of, or at risk of, relationship or familial abuse.

We have lots of helpful practical guidance on our website, including:A table with documents and the Financial Times on it

You can find information about emotional support on our website, including:

Queen Mary students looking at the accommodation

You can find out more about our services and how to contact us on our website.

Back to top