Skip to main content
New Students


It's important to look after your mental and physical wellbeing.


Prior to starting at Queen Mary we strongly advise that you have:

  • Two doses of the MMR vaccine, which can protect you from mumps and measles
  • The meningitis ACWY vaccine, which can prevent meningitis and septicaemia 

You might also need:

  • COVID-19 vaccination: the vaccines are no longer available to everybody in the UK, but you may be eligible if you are at increased risk of becoming seriously ill from COVID-19. If you are registered with a GP in the UK and you are eligible, you will be contacted by the NHS. 

What you need to know about MMR

  • It is never too late to get the vaccine.
  • There are no risks to your health if you get an extra dose.
  • We advise you to check if you have had two doses of the MMR vaccine with your GP before arriving at university and to arrange a catch up if necessary.

What you need to know about MenACWY

If you were born on or after 1 September 1996 and missed having the MenACWY vaccine as a teenager, you can still have the vaccine up to your 25th birthday.

New university students, including overseas students, who have not yet had the MenACWY vaccine are eligible up to their 25th birthday.

We encourage you to contact your doctor to have the MenACWY vaccine before arriving at Queen Mary. If that's not possible, you should have it as soon as you can after your arrival.

If you are moving to the UK for the first time and have had these vaccinations in your home country make sure you bring a record of this with you so it can be added to your medical notes once you’ve registered with a doctor in the UK.

You can find more information about how to get the vaccinations and access to healthcare on the Student Health website.

Healthcare at university

Someone having their heart rate monitored

Queen Mary has a free Student Health Service available on campus. Here’s what you need to know:

  • It's located in the Geography Building on the Campus Map (no. 28 on map).
  • The Student Health Service is provided by an independent contractor to NHS England.
  • Registrations for the Student Health Service can take place online.
  • If you cannot register with the Student Health Service for clinical reasons, or if it's more convenient to register with a doctor close to where you live, you can find a list of local doctors through the NHS website.
  • Students who will be in the UK for a short time, as a Study Abroad or Exchange student, can register as a temporary resident. To do that go to the Student Health Service reception and ask for a Temporary services form (also known as a GMS3 form) to complete.

Further information about accessing healthcare in UK while studying (for UK, International and EU/EEA/SWISS students) can be found on our Student Health website.

Stay in the loop

On campus health helpers

We work on campaigns and events with local health organisations, like Barts Health NHS Trust, Positive East and Step Forward. Our aim is to keep improving students’ physical and mental health. You can find out more by visiting the Student Health website or via our Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Keep an eye out for our events during Welcome Week, revision and exam periods. We’re always here to help!

Back to top