We are committed to embedding the principles of sustainable development across all areas of our operation and academic activities by actively working to continue to improve our environmental performance.
Our environmental sustainability policy and environmental sustainability action plan (2020 - 2023), available via the Environmental Management System card below, were developed as part of our immediate response to these global environmental risks and commitment to embed good environmental practices across all areas of our operation. In addition, our six-year 30% carbon reduction target against our 2018/19 baseline is our immediate response to the global risks associated with climate change.
Our environmental sustainability action plan covers the areas below:
- Environmental sustainability governance
- Climate change adaptation and emergency
- Carbon management and reduction
- Building energy use
- Travel and transportation
- Water management and efficiency
- Waste management
- Recycling and waste segregation
- Waste management and compliance
- Construction (New build, refurbishment, and maintenance)
- Sustainable procurement and commissioning
- Sustainable food and catering
- Biodiversity and ecological enhancement
- Embedding sustainable development
- Awareness and engagement
- Education for sustainable development
- Corporate social responsibility and the UN SDGs
- Environmental management and assurance
Our long-term environmental priorities are to continue to improve our environmental performance and play an active role in supporting the delivery of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). We will also continue to engage with our relevant stakeholders and like-minded organisation to make our planet a better place to live.
Our Head of Sustainability Philip Tamuno, with the support our Director of Estates and Facilities (Ian McManus) and Dr Philippa Lloyd as lead from our Senior Executive Team (SET) will continue to actively explore opportunities to integrate sustainable development and climate change emergency into all of our academic programmes.
We will continue to update this web page with our progress on our environmental sustainability journey. Please contact our Head of Sustainability for any information about our strategy, or to find out how you can get involved email@example.com