Environmental sustainability is one of the most important issues facing society. Large organisations, such as Universities, can have a significant impact through embedding sustainable development into education, reducing carbon emissions and cutting waste.
Queen Mary, University of London and Queen Mary Students’ Union (QMSU) are taking steps to reduce the environmental impact of our operations and are committed to embedding sustainability in our academic activities.
Our Students’ Union supports students to run environmental campaigns and initiatives to champion institution-wide sustainable change relating to social and environmental impact on campus and in our local communities.
Togther we aim to ensure that our positive impact extends beyond campus through providing opportunities for students and staff to volunteer and have a direct impact on the local environment in partnership with the local community.
Queen Mary's Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Policy
We are currently developing our environmental sustainability policy and strategy. This will be the framework on which we deliver our environmental objectives, address the challenges of climate change and ensure compliance with all relevant environmental regulations.
Our strategy will support our commitment to continue to:
- Respond to the challenges associated with climate change and respond to the climate emergency
- Reduce our environmental footprint
- Reduce energy, water and waste usage
- Embed good environmental practice into all areas of our operations
- Embed sustainable development and good environmental management into our curriculum
- Comply with all relevant environmental regulations
Sustainability Volunteering at the Students' Union
The Students’ Union volunteering service runs activities throughout the year, allowing students to make a difference in the community. Some of the local organisations we’ve worked with on sustainability activities recently include:
- Clean-Ups on the Regent’s Canal as part of our adoption of the stretch of canal with the Canal & River Trust.
- Bulb and wildflower planting in Tower Hamlets parks with the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park.
- Donating items and arranging student volunteers to support the work of Bow Foodbank and Hackney Winter Night Shelter