New Students

Health FAQs

Where do I go to register with a doctor?

There is a free Student Health Service available on campus. The Student Health Service is provided by Globe Town Surgery, an independent contractor to National Health Service (NHS) England.

Students living in Queen Mary accommodation at Mile End or Whitechapel, and students living in the borough of Tower Hamlets (E1, E2, E3 and E14) are encouraged to register with the Student Health Service (located on campus in the Geography Building, Mile End (number 28 on map).

Students living in Dawson Hall at the Charterhouse Square campus or outside Tower Hamlets must register with a doctor close to where they live. You can look up a list of local doctors here.

GP surgeries will normally register all international students in the UK, regardless of the length of your programme. Please visit the student health website for more information about the UK’s healthcare service and how non-UK students can access it. 

We also advise that all students are up to date with both doses of their measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and that all students up to the age of 25 get immunised against meningitis* before arriving at Queen Mary. Teenagers and young adults are at higher risk from these diseases, particularly those coming to university for the first time. If you are an EU/international student and are unable to access these vaccinations in your home country before coming to Queen Mary, you can get them free of charge from a GP in the UK (up to the age of 25 for the Meningitis vaccine). If you have not been vaccinated by the time you arrive, make an appointment as soon as you have registered with the Student Health Service on campus or with a local GP

*Students up to the age of 25 will be able to get a free Meningitis ACWY vaccination at the Wellbeing Hub in Library Square from 10am-4pm on Wednesday and Thursday of Welcome Week, provided that they have not been vaccinated already.

I have a disability – who should I contact?

The Disability and Dyslexia Service offers support for all students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues at QMUL.

I have mental health concerns – who can I contact?

The Mental Health Coordinator and Mental Health and Autistic Spectrum Disorder Adviser are the first point of contact if you are experiencing mental health issues at any stage during your studies.

If you have concerns about your mental health, please make an appointment with the Disability and Dyslexia Service.

Our Advice and Counselling Service also provides a range of specialist, professional and confidential services to support you with financial, welfare, legal, emotional and psychological issues. They also have lots of information about looking after your emotional wellbeing while at university.

I want to find out more about staying healthy as a student – where do I go?

Please check back soon for information on wellbeing events taking place during Welcome Week, or visit the Information Point in Library Square during Welcome Week to find out more.

You can also get advice and support from our Student Health Service.