Skip to main content
Student Advice and Signposting Hub

International Students

International students may need practical and emotional support whilst studying with us, some students may be struggling with loneliness, transitioning into university life, language difficulties, or adjusting into a completely new culture.

International students may feel homesick and sometimes it’s difficult for them to return home for a visit, so it is very important to encourage students to seek out help and speak with someone confidentially about how they feel, University staff are there to help. Students may struggle with the culture shock, which can be both physical and emotional.

There is information and advice about culture shock for students on the UKCISA website. International students may face financial difficulties including difficulty paying their tuition fees. There is information about budgeting & financial options during studies on the Advice and Counselling website. Students can book a one-to-one confidential appointment with a Welfare Adviser to discuss this.

  • International students may need immigration advice – this may be about what conditions are attached to their immigration permission, for example can they work, do they need to register with the police, or they may need to apply to extend their immigration permission.
  • Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service are the only staff at Queen Mary who are regulated and authorised to provide immigration advice, and this information changes frequently. View the Visas and International student section and students can contact Advice and Counselling for confidential advice.
  • Queen Mary offers free in sessional English Language classes.
  • Any changes to a student’s course could have immigration implications. Students can check the impact on their student immigration permission on the Advice and Counselling web page.

International Student advice including Immigration

For any questions related to this area students should be referred to Visas and International Student Advice on the Advice and Counselling website. Welfare Advisers in the Advice and Counselling Service are the only members of staff at Queen Mary who are authorised to provide immigration advice to students. Rules and regulations are changed frequently by the UK government, and the Advice and Counselling web pages are updated in line with any changes.

Back to top