Skip to main content
Student Advice and Signposting Hub

Care Experienced and Estranged Students

Encourage care experienced or students who have no contact with their family to contact the Advice and Counselling Service.

They will be offered a one-to-one confidential appointment with a Welfare Adviser. They will be able to get advice about funding, housing, a referral for Careers advice, and other practical support. Their Welfare Adviser will keep in contact with them throughout the course as well as inviting them to events for independent students such as socials and events for final year students.

There are specific web pages explaining the support available:

Care experienced students

Estranged students

They will also be able to access mental health and wellbeing support through the Advice and Counselling Service.

If a student is considering cutting contact with their family, please also refer them to Advice and Counselling where they can get confidential advice about their options for example for funding and housing, as well as emotional support. They may be in a situation of domestic violence or abuse.

For more information on how to support students experiencing domestic abuse please visit the page on Relationships.

Back to top