Algebra and Number Theory Group
The Algebra and Number Theory Group at Queen Mary has a long and distinguished history, going back to such names as Kurt Hirsch, Karl Gruenberg and Ian G. Macdonald.
- Structure of finite groups
- Growth functions on finitely-generated groups and their combinatorics and number-theoretic properties
- Computational group theory and group-theoretical databases
- Representations of finite groups
- Representations of p-adic groups
- Representations of symmetric groups and Hecke algebras
We normally hold our Algebra and Number Theory Seminar during term time. We aim for this seminar to be informal and accessible.
In conjunction with Imperial College, City University and Birkbeck University of London we also run the weekly London Algebra Colloquium, which has been running continuously since 1950.