A professional placement is an excellent opportunity to develop your business skills and gain hands-on experience. As well as helping you to secure graduate employment, this can support your academic achievement by providing additional context to your studies. For many students who are not certain about what career path they want to follow, a professional placement or sandwich year can be an excellent way to help you understand your options and make decisions about your future.
As a student on one of the below degree programmes, you will have the option to extend your degree to a four or five-year sandwich programme, including a one-year paid professional placement:
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Mathematics and Statistics
- BSc Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Economics
- BSc Mathematics with Management
- BSc Mathematics with Actuarial Science
- BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting
- BSc Mathematics with Management (from 2018)
- MSci Financial Mathematics
You would complete your paid work placement with a relevant employer during your third (‘sandwich’) year, returning to QMUL for the fourth year of study (fourth and fifth years for MSci students). Upon successful completion of this ‘sandwich year’, you will be eligible to graduate with a BSc or MSci that includes ‘with Professional Placement’ in its title.