Skip to main content
School of Mathematical Sciences

Student support

Support within the School of Mathematical Sciences 

There are many ways in which we, as a School, support our students. When you enrol with us, you are assigned an Academic Advisor. This person is a key point of contact for you as they can provide you with academic guidance throughout your studies, including support during module selection.

We also have a dedicated Student Support Officer who can assist you with anything you’re finding challenging. The role of the Student Support Officer is to either provide you with the support you need or signpost you to the relevant team who can provide specialist support if that’s what you require. Common queries for the Student Support Officer range from managing extenuating circumstances to dealing with mental health struggles, but they are not limited to this.

Read our interview with current Student Support Officer, Hamida, to learn more about what she does. 

Central Student Support Services  

Academic and Student Journey Support 

Peer Assisted Study Support (PASS)

For study support, you may want to use our PASS Scheme. This is a mentoring scheme which allows first year students to discuss study-related problems and get general advice from higher year undergraduates. Information regarding PASS is emailed to students periodically and you can find more information on their website

Buddy Scheme

Having a buddy during the initial few weeks at university has proven to be very helpful for many of our students. The Buddy Scheme includes a group of mentors trained to support students socially and will work with you throughout the first year of your student journey. For more information, please click here.

Support with Personal Circumstances 

Advice and Counselling 

The university has a dedicated Advice and Counselling team, comprising Mental Health Advisors and Counsellors who can provide students with specialist support. They also support international students with immigration advice.

Sexual Violence – Report and Support

If you would like support in relation to sexual violence, please visit the Queen Mary Report + Support page. Here you can report the incident anonymously or with your contact details. If you would like to speak to someone directly first, you can liaise with your Student Support Officer.

Back to top