Professor Neve Gordon’s research focuses on international law, human rights, the ethics of violence, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and political theory. His first book, Israel’s Occupation, was published in 2008 by the University of California Press, while his second book, The Human Right to Dominate (written with Nicola Perugini) was published in 2015 by Oxford University Press. Gordon has edited two volumes, one on torture in Israel (with Ruchama Marton) and the other on marginalized perspectives on human rights. He has published over 30 articles in academic journals and is currently working on a new book project dealing with the history and politics of human shields. Gordon has been a member at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, and a visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley, Brown University, the University of Michigan, and SOAS.
Professor Gordon’s current research focuses on the history and politics of human shielding. He is examining in the role of international law in producing an ethics of violence and how the production of new legal subjects such as human shields, unlawful combatants, and enemies killed in action facilitate the construction of an ethics that is conducive to specific actors. He is also interested in the politics of human rights, how human rights are interpreted and appropriated in different contexts and towards what ends.
Work in progress
Professor Gordon is in the process of writing a book on the history of human shielding. Simultaneously, he is working on an article about international law and virtual war games, and another article on the bombing of hospitals during conflicts in the Middle East.
Examples of research funding:
Professor Gordon was a Marie Curie Fellow.
- Nicola Perugini and Neve Gordon, The Human Right to Dominate, Oxford University Press. 2015 (equal contribution).
- Italian translation: Il diritto umano di dominare, Roma, Nottetempo, 2016.
- Arabic translation: Doha Institute, (forthcoming 2017)
- Neve Gordon, Israel’s Occupation, University of California Press, 2008.
Article in refereed journals
- Yinon Cohen and Neve Gordon, “Israel’s Bio-Spatial Politics: Territory, Demography and Effective Control,” Public Culture, forthcoming 2018. (equal contribution).
- Michal Rotem and Neve Gordon, “Bedouin Ṣumūd and the Struggle for Education,” Journal of Palestine Studies, Vol. XLVI, No. 4 Summer 2017, 7-27.
- Nicola Perugini and Neve Gordon, “Distinction and the Ethics of Violence: On the Legal Construction of Liminal Subjects and Spaces,” Antipode Vol. 49 No. 5 2017 ISSN 0066-4812, pp. 1385-1405 (equal contribution).
- Nicola Perugini and Neve Gordon, “Introduction to Symposium on Critical Perspectives on Human Shields,” American Journal of International Law, Unbound, Vol. 110, 2017, 296-298.
- Neve Gordon and Nicola Perugini, “Human Shields, Sovereign Power and the Evisceration of the Civilian,” American Journal of International Law, Unbound, Vol. 110, 2017, 329-334.
- Neve Gordon, “Palestinian Resistance and the Fallacy of Destituent Power,” Political Geography, Vol. 56, 2017, 100-103.
- Nitza Berkovitch and Neve Gordon, “Differentiated Decoupling and Human Rights,” Social Problems, Vol. 63, Issue 4, 2016, 499-512 (equal contribution).
- Neve Gordon and Moriel Ram, “Ethnic cleansing and the formation of colonial geographies," Political Geography, Vol. 53, 2016: 20-29 (equal contribution).
- Reprinted in Arabic التطهير الإثني وتشكيل أنماط جغرافيا الاستعمار الاستيطاني in Israel Affairs Journal, Vol. 62, 2016: 62-93.
- Neve Gordon and Nicola Perugini, “The Politics of Human Shielding: On the Resignification of Space and the Constitutions of Civilians as Shields in Liberal Wars.” Environment and Planning D, Society and Space, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2016, 168-187 (equal contribution).
- Reprinted in Italian:
- Gordon, Neve, and Nicola Perugini. "Le Politiche degli Scudi Umani: Sulla Risignificazione dello Spazio e la Costituzione Dei Civili Come Scudi Nelle Guerre Liberali." Cartografie sociali. Rivista di sociologia e scienze umane Vol, 3 2017.
- Neve Gordon and Sharon Pardo, "Normative Power Europe Meets the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict," Asia-Europe Journal, Vol. 13, Issue 3, 2015, 265-274 (equal contribution).
- Neve Gordon and Sharon Pardo, “The European Union and Israel’s Occupation: Using Technical Customs Rules as Instruments of Foreign Policy,” The Middle East Journal, Vol. 69, Winter 2015: 74-90 (equal contribution).
- Neve Gordon and Sharon Pardo, “Normative Power Europe and the Power of the Local,” JCMS-Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 53. No. 2. 2015: 416–427 (equal contribution).
- Neve Gordon, “Human Rights as a Security Threat: Lawfare and the Campaign Against Rights NGOs,” Law and Society Review. Vol. 48:2, 2014: 311-344.
Neve Gordon has supervised several students to completion and is now accepting new students working from a critical perspective on human rights, international humanitarian law, wars and conflicts, and Israel/Palestine. His students at Queen Mary include:
- Alicia De La Cour Venning ‘To what extent do Kachin Independence Army perceptions of international humanitarian norms conform with development of its policies and practice?’
- Michal Rotem ‘Studying Liberal Law in a non-Liberal Country’.
- Gaza: Human Shields | Al Jazeera World (
- UNRWA and Trump's attempt to erase the Palestinian people
- The fallacy of Israel's human shields claims in Gaza.
- The acceleration of death precipitated by Covid-19 exposes state crime
24 April 2020
- The Gaza Strip has been under siege for years, COVID-19 could be catastrophic
30 March 2020
- The coronavirus conundrum and human rights
23 March 2020
- To survive, we need intersectional solidarity
9 December 2019
- Hospital bombings and the limits of international law
19 August 2019
- It’s no wonder the military likes violent video games – they can help train civilians to become warriors
15 August 2019
- Silencing pro-Palestine voices
9 July 2019
- Britain’s Foreign Secretary under scrutiny for ‘lack of humanity’ towards Palestinians
8 May 2019
- Neve Gordon asks: Who's Afraid of Jeremy Corbyn?
30 April 2019
- Prof. Neve Gordon on Israel's cyperpower & dynamics in the Middle East
18 April 2019
- Professor Neve Gordon discusses the banned documentary film on the 'anti-Semitism in Labour debate' for Al Jazeera
5 March 2019
- Professor Neve Gordon co-authors a blog, discussing the Airbnb boycott in the West Bank
28 November 2018
- Professor Neve Gordon co-writes a piece for The Conversation, discussing the 'migrant caravan' near the US border
19 November 2018
- Professor Neve Gordon co-writes a piece about Israel's Human Shield for Al-Jazeera
19 June 2018