Skip to main content
Human Resources

Other Visas

There are a number of other visas that allow individuals to work in the UK.  These visas are not sponsored by Queen Mary.  They generally allow the individual to work, with any restrictions listed on the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you are  provided with one of these visas when carrying out a right to work check and are unsure of the conditions and restrictions should contact Human Resources for advice and consult the University's guidance on right to work checks.

Diplomats, heads of state, overseas government ministers, members of some armed forces posted to the UK, and employees of international organisations such as the United Nationals, and some Non-Governmental Organisations can be 'exempt from immigration control' and travel to the UK without a visa, if they are coming to carry out activities which form part of their role.

To avoid delays when travelling to, and entering, the UK those who are 'exempt from immigration control' can (but do not have to) apply for an 'exempt vignette' endorsement in their passport.

Those from any of these groups may require a UK visa if they are instead coming to the UK to undertake activities or employment outside their main role.

Cases involving those who fall under these categories should be discussed with Human Resources as early as possible so that the correct advice, and assistance if required, can be provided.

Family members of Points Based visa holders (Global Talent, Skilled Worker, Student/ Tier 4, and Tier 5) can apply for a Dependant visa. The only restrictions on employment for Dependant visa holders is that they cannot undertake work as a doctor or dentist in training, a professional sportsperson, or a sports coach. 

It is possible to switch out of a Dependant visa into another visa route from within the UK. It is also possible to switch from most visa routes to a Dependant visa from within the UK (but not from a Visitor, Short-term Student, Parent of a Child Student, Seasonal Worker, or Domestic Worker visa or a visa granted Outside the Immigration Rules).

Those granted Refugee status, Discretionary Leave, or Humanitarian Protection, in the UK have unrestricted employment rights and can normally apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after five years. A BRP may not state that the holder has been granted rights in the UK under these categories but should clearly state that work is permitted.

Those who have submitted an application for asylum would not normally be permitted to work but in some cases work is permitted. If work rights have been granted this should be clearly stated on the applicant's Asylum Registration Card (ARC). Before employment commences Human Resources will need to conduct an additional check to confirm their right to work.  Details of which are on the University's right to work pages.

The Representative of an overseas business visa route is for the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company or an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

As Home Office guidance makes clear that visa holders under this route can only work for their overseas employer, and cannot work for themselves or any other business, it is unlikely that they would be able to undertake any activities within the collegiate University unless this was on behalf of their overseas employer. If you are presented with this visa please contact Human Resources in advance to discuss before permitting a visa holder under this route to undertake any activities.

Family members of UK nationals or visa holders who have 'settled' in the UK (i.e. those who have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)) can apply under the Spouse/ partner visa route as a dependant partner or dependant child.

The only restrictions on employment for Spouse/ partner visa holders is that they cannot undertake work as a doctor or dentist in training, a professional sportsperson, or a sports coach.

The Start-up visa route, which replaces the previous Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa route, is a two year visa for applicants setting up a business in the UK. Home Office guidance states that Start-up, and Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur, visa holders are permitted to undertake employment in addition to working for their business.

The Innovator visa route replaces the previous Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa route, and neither of these routes permit employment as visa holders under these routes can only work for the their own business.

Tier 4 and Student visa holders on University courses are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week in term time, and full time out of term and when they have finished their studies.

Doctoral students who are close, but have not completed, can apply for a 12 month extension of their Tier 4 visa under the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES).

If you wish to employ a Student visa holder please refer to our right to work guidance

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) is for young people from participating countries who would like to experience life in the UK.

The countries currently participating in the scheme are:

Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of (South) Korea, San Marino and Taiwan.

Under the Youth Mobility Scheme, the visa holder's national government is the sponsor. Therefore the University does not need to issue Tier 5 (YMS) applicants with a CoS.

Visa holders are free to undertake any work during their stay in the UK, except for working as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or working as a doctor in training. 

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa holders can be self-employed and set up companies, subject to certain restrictions as detailed in the Home Office website.

Visa holders coming to the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme may stay and work for a maximum of 24 months. Visa holders will not be permitted to extend their stay in the UK beyond 24 months, but they may be able to apply to switch to another visa route from within the UK if they meet the relevant requirements for that route.

Turkish nationals who have lived and worked in the UK for one year can apply for a Turkish Worker visa which permits employment in the UK, but this route will be closed to new applicants from 31 December 2020 as the UK will no longer be part of the European ECAA or 'Ankara' agreement that this route is based on. Those who already hold a Turkish Worker visa should still be able to extend under this route.

Turkish Businessperson visa holders, however, are not permitted to work. They can start a business in the UK, or take an active part in a business they have joined, but are not permitted to undertake work or activities for any other employer.

Citizens of Commonwealth countries countries who can prove that one of their grandparents were born in the UK can apply for a UK Ancestry visa. While in the UK, Ancestry visa holders can work in any role. 


Back to top