Skip to main content
Human Resources

Work Visas

An overview of UK visas which allow the visa holder to work in the UK

Where an individual is subject to UK immigration control, they will require a visa to work in the UK.

The following individuals do not need a visa for the UK, but do still have to prove their right to work before employment can commence:

Visa categories

Obtaining an appropriate visa will provide the individual with the time-limited right to work in the UK. If a non-British or Irish citizen is made a job offer from the University, and where they have no ties to the UK through family or ancestral links, the UK points-based immigration system is the most common route through which that individual can obtain the right to work in the UK.

This section provides guidance on the two work routes of the points based system and an overview of the other visas that will allow someone to work in the UK. 

  • The Global Talent visa is for eligible academics and researchers who wish to work at Queen Mary;
  • The Skilled Worker visa is for individuals offered eligible employment at Queen Mary. 

Recruitment of Researchers and Academics - establishing the right visa route. 

Where you are hiring for academic or postdoctoral positions there may be a choice of visa routes, either the Global Talent and Skilled Worker visa. It is recommended that you discuss the potential options with HR before the position is advertised to establish the available routes, should you hire an individual from outside the UK and Ireland.

Those who are likely to benefit from the Global Talent visa over the Skilled Worker visa are:

  • research active academics;
  • those appointed to senior academic positions;
  • those awarded prestigious grants who are being hosted by Queen Mary;
  • those named, or who's job is named, on an eligible research grant (this also includes those working in support roles).

Please select the links below for more information about the relevant visa routes and their eligibility criteria:

Back to top