Skip to main content

Residential fee payments

As a resident in halls you will have electronically signed a legally binding licence agreement to occupy your room, making you liable for payment of residential fees. Information on residential fees, the relevant deadlines and payment options has already been provided to you on your licence agreement and in the Residents Handbook. However if you do not have this information readily to hand, you may find the following information essential to guide you through the process of paying your residential fees.

Please note: Financial arrangements (both deposit and residential fee payments) for Eleanor Rosa House (University of London) residents are managed directly by the accommodation providers.

The deposit payment (£400.00), which is an advance rent payment, is due by the deadline date to accept your online accommodation offer, it is an integral part of the acceptance process. You may need to enable a ‘3D Secure Code’ for Mastercard payments or a ‘Verified By Visa Code’ for VISA card payments. If you are unable to do this, please contact Housing Services for further instructions.

Your residential fees are due each term in full on, or within 14 days from, the commencement date of each period of your residential licence agreement. Your licence agreement can be viewed via the Accommodation portal. Alternatively payment in full can be made from the commencement date of your residential licence agreement.

You will receive an invoice for the full period of the licence agreement by email. We cannot issue invoices before the start date of the licence agreement. We will send residential fee reminders by email during your stay. Your financial account can also be checked on your MySIS portal.

Queen Mary has partnered with Transfermate/Barclays and Flywire to offer international payers additional cost-effective ways to pay in their local currency. For example, Indian Rupees in India; Euros in Europe etc. Both facilities offer a similar service and, depending on the country of the payer, different payment options will be presented. This includes local currency card payment or bank transfer to an in-country bank. Both payment facilities offer multilingual support and assistance.

Queen Mary will receive the full value in Pound Sterling (GBP). You will need your Applicant/Student number to make the payment which can be found on any correspondence from Queen Mary University of London.

Pay via Transfermate/Barclays

Transfermate/Barclays payments via the Transfermate portal. International payers will be presented with payment options in their local currency for both card payments and bank transfers.

Pay via Flywire

Flywire payments via the Queen Mary, University of London online payment portal. International payers will be presented with payment options in their local currency for both card payments and bank transfers.

a) Online Payment: Go to
There is no fee for online payments. You will receive an automated email receipt as proof of payment. You may need to enable a ‘3D Secure Code’ for Mastercard payments or a ‘Verified By Visa Code’ for VISA card payments.

b) Payment in person at the Cashiers Office (IQ East, Ground Floor) by:

i) Credit card - MASTERCARD or VISA only (currently there is no additional charge)


You are recommended to contact your card company in advance to alert them of the amount you wish to authorise (particularly if you are using an overseas card).

c) Cheques: Personal cheques are not accepted. Bankers drafts and building society cheques are accepted and must be made payable to Queen Mary University of London or QMUL, in pounds sterling. Non-sterling cheques will NOT be accepted. Please write your full name and student ID number on the back of the bank draft.

d) Bank Transfer: You must email a copy of your bank transfer remittance advice to immediately, as proof of payment and to enable the payment to be credited to your account. The bank must quote your surname and your student ID or applicant number in the transfer details. Please note, for international transfers both the sending and receiving bank will charge you for this service, you must add at least £15 per transaction to cover these fees. To avoid late receipt of the payment, bank transfers should be sent from your bank 7 days before the residential fee deadline date for UK transfers, and 14 days for overseas transfers. NB: Queen Mary cannot receive money by Western Union Transfer.

Queen Mary Residential Fees - Bank Account Details:

Account Name Queen Mary University of London
Sort Code 20 – 57 – 30
Account Number 70211729
IBAN (Overseas) GB 79 BARC 205730 70211729
Swift Number (Overseas) BARCGB22

Bank and Address: Barclays Bank Plc, 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP

NB: Cash will not be accepted over the counter at our bank

You can arrange to pay your residential fees on a variable instalment plan in agreement with Residences Finance, after your arrival. You will be required to countersign the payment plan to agree to adhere to the values and dates of payment as outlined on the plan. Please email to enquire about setting up a payment plan.

You may be asked to provide documentary evidence to support your request for a payment plan. Payment plans are at the discretion of the Housing Services Manager. An administration fee of £30 inclusive of VAT will be charged for failure to adhere to the agreed payment arrangement.

Online payments or payments in person at the Cashier’s Office will automatically generate a receipt. Bank transfer payments will be confirmed by email receipt, once funds are received.

If you require an official receipt to obtain a visa to study in the UK, please contact Student Enquiry Centre. An official receipt will be issued for advance residential fees only (not deposit payments). Please allow 14 days to receive this, prior to applying for your visa. You need to make this request by email to, please quote "Visa Letter Required" in the subject line.

Please note, if you are applying for Tier 4 (General) Student immigration permission, and you would like to pay money for your QMUL accommodation in advance, a maximum of £1265 of this can be shown on your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS), even if you have paid more than £1265. This means that a maximum of £1265 in accommodation fees can be offset against the amount of money that you have to show for maintenance to the UK Visas and Immigration department as part of your Tier 4 immigration application. For more information please visit:

An administration fee of £30 inclusive of VAT will apply for:

  • the issuing of a Notice to Quit due to non-payment
  • the failure to adhere to any agreed payment arrangement

Bank handling charges incurred by, or charged to Queen Mary, will be passed on to you for reimbursement.

Contact Residences Finance before you miss any payment.

For confidential financial advice contact Queen Mary's Advice and Counselling Service ( You are also advised to make the Advice and Counselling Service and your Academic department, aware of any financial difficulties or delays you may be experiencing. They can offer you advice and in some cases financial assistance.

Non-payment of residential fees will result in you being required to leave your accommodation. An administration fee of £30 inclusive of VAT will be charged if a Notice to Quit is issued.

An unsatisfactory payment record will jeopardise any future eligibility for the Queen Mary housing and private sector references. Debt collection agencies will be used to recover any outstanding debt (additional costs to Queen Mary will be passed onto the debtor).

The deposit is used to reserve your room and after the start date of your licence agreement will be offset against your first residential fee payment instalment.

All or part of the deposit may be retained by Queen Mary as a contribution towards any loss or costs suffered by Queen Mary for cancellations made outside of the licence cancellation period or for no-shows.

All charges (e.g. for administration, discipline, cleaning, lost keys and assigned or unassigned damage) will be added to your residential account and an invoice sent via email to inform you of the charge. All charges must be paid immediately.

A list of standard charges can be found in the Residents' Handbook.

Please email the team at

Or visit us in the Housing Hub, Feilden House, Mile End Campus, Monday-Friday 09:30-16:30 (with exception of public holidays and University closure periods)

The Student Accommodation Code Logo

Back to top