Housing Services provides advice and guidance on all aspects of renting in the private sector, an online property search, contract reading and arbitration service.
- We can provide you with the right information at the right time to assist with trouble-free renting
- We offer easy access to personalised advice
- We will support you in navigating multiple sources of information and advice
- We can help you to understand the legal processes and documentation you should expect as renters
- We will give you the tools and confidence to understand and exert your rights as renters
An essential tool to assist you is the comprehensive Private Accommodation Guide [PDF 471KB], please ensure you read the guide before commencing your search.
To support this Guide we have produced a number of short videos for you that cover; how and when to start looking, inspecting a property, tenancy agreements, deposits and tenancy deposits schemes and repair issues. You can view the full-length video guide or select specific topics that may interest you. We do recommend you view the whole guide if you have never rented in the private sector before. These guides are applicable for students renting a whole vacant house or flat. If you are thinking of renting just a room in a house share, you may wish to book onto one of our online Private Housing Advice talks.
Overseas students should note that you will need to be in the UK before you begin your search, as the accommodation must be inspected and cannot be pre-booked from overseas. We advise booking a temporary place to stay while you complete your search (short stay / hotels / hostels).
Styles of private accommodation include:
- Whole vacant flats/houses suitable for couples
- Families or groups of student sharers who wish to live together having exclusive use of all the facilities
- Rooms/bedsits suitable for individuals who do not form part of a group but share the kitchen and bathroom facilities with other tenants or the owner occupier
- Lodging with a landlord and his/her family.
Please feel free to pop in and speak to one of the Housing Advisors if you have any questions regarding how to find private housing, require your contract to be checked or are having any problems during your stay in the private sector. We are here to help.