Skip to main content
Residential Services and Support


1. I am a new applicant to Queen Mary for 2020, can I apply for housing during the current Coronavirus situation?

Yes, online housing applications are open for 2020/21, more information can be found at:

2. I am coming as a first-year undergraduate. Should I wait for my A-Level results to come out before I apply for accommodation?

No. You should apply as soon as the Admissions Office sends your username and password, this is generated once you accept your offer to study at Queen Mary. You will not be expected to accept your offer of housing until after you get your results.

3. Can Housing Services send me an application form for housing?

No, all applications must now be made online. For further information, deadlines, and housing policy please visit our applications page.

4. Why do I get an error when I try to logon or apply online?

You can only apply for Accommodation if you have accepted a place to study at the University; you must have accepted a Conditional or Unconditional (Firm) offer to apply for Accommodation online.

There may be a few hours delay in you being able to apply for housing after you receive your login details from Admissions (Please take this delay into consideration if you will be applying close to our stated deadlines). If you experience any significant delay, please email

Once you have submitted your housing application, you will receive an email confirmation from Housing Services.

5. Can I change my options/room preferences once I've submitted my form?

Yes - you are now able to amend your application form once it has been submitted. This is to ensure that you are happy with your selected preferences before an offer of accommodation is sent to you.

6. I have changed my details - can you amend them on the system?

Unfortunately, we cannot change any details that you provided to UCAS/QMUL’s Admissions and Recruitment Office. You will need to officially change your details via and you will also have to check that your details have been updated with QMUL’s Admissions and Recruitment Office. If you have changed your parental home address from the one that is on your UCAS/direct university application, in order for your accommodation application to be reviewed you will also be required to provide Housing Services with:

a) Proof of the completion of sale of the current permanent home address or proof of the letting of the property to a new tenant (if the home address is rented) and
b) If your parents are re-locating within the British Isles, proof of the new address and your registration with a doctor at the new address.
c) If your parents are re-locating abroad, copies of their visas or permission to work and letter from new employer confirming their contract.

Once the necessary documentation is received your application will be reviewed.

7. I would like to move into my accommodation in January rather than September. Will I be guaranteed a room for my arrival?

If you defer your arrival until January, we are unable to guarantee you accommodation, but will make every effort to house you, subject to availability.

8. I’m beginning my course online in September, when can I move into residences?

Our residential licences begin in September, when you receive your housing offer all details will be supplied to you. However, if are unsure that you will be able to travel then, don’t worry, just contact us for further guidance.

9. Will I receive a refund or rebate if my arrival is delayed beyond the start date of the licence agreement?

You will be liable for residential fees from the start date of your licence agreement.  If you experience significant problems with your planned arrival, please contact us for further guidance.

10. Can I arrive earlier than September?

If you wish to move into halls earlier than the scheduled start date of your licence agreement, please contact us for further information on how to arrange this, subject to availability.

Do not book your travel arrangements until you have contacted us, and we have confirmed that we accommodate your early arrival.

11. How will self-isolation be managed within residences?

The safety, health and wellbeing of our students and staff is our utmost priority. We will continue to implement the current government guidelines regarding the use of our campus facilities. We have designated areas within our housing stock for those who need to self-isolate.

12. I would like to arrive in September, but I’m unsure about my travel arrangements. What should I do?

Eligible students will receive an offer of housing with a standard contractual start date of Saturday 12 September, with arrivals available from 10-13 September 2020. Residential deposits paid will reserve the room, without need for an advance rent payment until 26 September. If you cannot travel in September due to National travel restrictions (lack of available flights or visa delays), please contact for further advice.

13. I may need to self-isolate when I arrive to the UK, is this possible?

International students can request to arrive up to 14 days before the start of their residential licence agreement, if they are required to self-isolate in accordance with the current Government guidelines.

14. How are halls of residence being managed in line with Covid-19 guidelines?

Covid-19 risk assessments have been carried out for all areas within Queen Mary halls of residence. Enhanced cleaning measures as well as hand sanitisers in all building entrances have been put in place for September 2020. More information can be found in our Living Safely document.

15. How can I access support in halls of residence for the 2020-21 academic year?

Security services and residential staff will remain on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will ensure all social events will adhere to social distancing guidelines, including an online community to allow you to connect, even if you prefer to stay in your room. Further information can be found in our Living Safely document.

16. I’m a returning student who has not been able to secure accommodation in the private sector, am I eligible for Queen Mary residences?

Housing Services offer private sector housing guidance on our website, please email us via with any questions or queries you may have. We are accepting applications for residences from returning students for the 2020-21 academic year, however these applications will be placed on a waiting list. Eligibility information can be found online. Returning students who have placed an application with us will be contacted once we have met our commitment to the guarantee for new students, with an update on the status of their application later on in the summer.

17. When will I receive my offer?

We begin room allocations in mid July and this process continues throughout the rest of the summer, in numerous rounds of allocations. To check your application status, please log into to the application portal. When an offer is available to you, you will be sent an email and your offer will appear on your online account. For more information please see our website.

18. What if I don't like what I've been offered?

QMUL student accommodation is oversubscribed and whilst you are asked to prioritise your preferences, no guarantees are made. All allocations are made at the sole discretion of the College. Please note that if you reject your offer of accommodation your application will be placed on a wait list until all other unallocated students have been made an offer, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive another offer of a room in halls.

19. When is payment due for the deposit?

The deposit payment (£300.00) is due by the deadline date on your online accommodation offer. You will be required to pay by credit or debit card, at the same time that you accept your housing offer online. If you are unable to do this, please contact Housing Services for further instructions. 

20. Are any QM halls catered?

No. All the on-campus halls are self-catering. However, there are many catering outlets on the campus or you can make a direct application for one of the fully catered halls via the University of London.

21. Do you have any single-sex halls?

We allocate a number of single sex flats in the residences that share bathroom facilities. In our en-suite residences (where there are no shared bathrooms) all flats are mixed sex.

22. Do you mix undergraduates with postgraduates in halls?

No. We designate certain building for each type of student. Sometimes we may allocate mature undergraduates/exchange students who are over 22 years old with postgraduates, but generally they are kept separate.

23. Will I be able to live in Halls in my second year?

No. Priority goes to new applicants. However any student can submit an application for vacancies that may occur mid-term.

24. If I move into Halls and don't like it and want to move out, can I cancel my contract?

No. You will have signed a legally binding licence agreement for a full academic year (this condition does not apply to mid-year starters) :

  • Undergraduate Applicants -  from September to June (approximately 38 weeks, unless you are a single semester Study Abroad student).
  • Postgraduate Applicants - from September to September (approximately 51 weeks, unless you are a single semester Study Abroad student).

We can only release you from your rent liability if we manage to re-let your room to another eligible student.

25. Do I have to move out of my room during the Christmas or Easter vacation?

No, the room is yours for the full licence period.

26. Can you help me to find private sector housing if I don't want to live in College housing?

Yes. We have many years of experience in helping students find suitable private accommodation. The section contains a full set of guidance notes. There is also an online property search facility, and a Student Share Messageboard where students can advertise vacancies for co-sharers.

27. Is there parking on campus?

There is no student parking on campus.

28. Do I have to bring my own bed linen, towels, crockery and cutlery, pots and pans?

Yes, or you can purchase these items from QMUL online shop. If you do decide to bring your own bed linen, the approximate bed size is 90cm x 190cm (3'0" x 6'3").

What to take to University - Essentials Checklist.

29. Can I arrange for luggage/parcels to be sent ahead of my arrival in Halls?

We do not have the facilities to accept or store luggage/post before you arrive. Please ensure the delivery arrives after you do. The University is under no legal obligation to sign for any delivery on a student’s behalf and belongings will not be covered by the University's block insurance policy until the student is in residence.

30. Is there a guest room I can book for my parents when they bring me to QMUL?

Unfortunately, we do not have guest rooms in the residences. Please see our alternative accommodation webpages for details of local hotels, hostels, and short-stay options.

31. Who will I be living with?

Due to the Data Protection Act 1998 the University cannot provide you with the details of your new flat/house mates. However, many students visit social networking sites such as Facebook to make contact with other people who will be living in their area.

If you choose to use any social media to find flat mates (on or off campus) please remember that the majority of these sites are public, and anyone can view your name, and possibly your address, online including other personal details.