Residential Services and Support

Private halls of residence

There are several non-profit organisations providing comfortable, affordable and secure accommodation for students in London.

*** The University has been notified by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government over their concerns for safety of students living in high rise residential buildings with unsafe Aluminium Composite Cladding. We therefore advise that students do not make any bookings with the Student Housing Company or The Curve.***

Ashwell House (catered hall of residents, for female university students in London)
Cass and Claredale

Goodenough College (University of London, Intercollegiate Halls for postgraduate students, offering accommodation for single residents, couples and families)

Griffin House (buddy scheme for dental and medical students where they befriend older local residents)
International Student House
Sanctuary Students (with accommodation in Mile End and Whitechapel)
Zebra Housing Association (for postgraduate family accommodation)

Additionally there are many privately built large student housing schemes in London, many are located within a short distance of Queen Mary. They are built to a very high standard (with many rooms being en-suite or studio style), however they are often more expensive than housing provided directly by Queen Mary or living in other types of private accommodation. When deciding if this option is for you, you will also need to consider the length of contract that you are expected to sign. Currently most private halls of residence offer 50/51 week contracts, some shorter term contracts may be available however you will find that these will be for a higher premium.

It is also recommended that you only use a provider that has signed up to the ANUK Code of Standards.

Homes for Students- with accommodation in Stratford
Host - with accommodation in Aldgate and Bethnal Green
IQ Student Accommodation - with accommodation in Aldgate, Hoxton and Shoreditch
Scape - with accommodation in Mile End and Shoreditch
Unite - with accommodations in Mile End, Bethnal Green, and Stratford
University of London - with accommodation in Stratford
Urbanest - with accommodation in Hoxton and Shoreditch

Hall Bookers is a website for helping students find private halls near the university. The website uses students reviews, unedited photographs and its own written descriptions to give a independent view of all private halls in London.

Please note: All these halls are external to the University so you will need to contact them directly for further information. They are open to all students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, and to students from other universities in the locality.