MSc Data Analytics
Data science is the driving force behind today’s most successful businesses. In our data-driven economy, companies are seeking data experts who can use statistical techniques and the latest technologies to extract clear insights that can inform every aspect of their strategy and operations.
In this programme, you will gain a solid understanding of the underlying theoretical concepts from probability theory and statistics, learn how to manipulate and visualise data using tools such as R and Excel, and gain hands-on experience of using machine-learning algorithms to extract value from large data sets. We’ll also teach you how to program in Python, the industry-standard computer language for data analysis.
- Queen Mary is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of leading UK universities, combining world-class research and teaching excellence
- Develop highly-relevant skills such as big data analysis and machine learning
- Learn from expert academics, including former industry practitioners, Fellows of the Alan Turing Institute and members of Queen Mary’s Institute of Applied Data Science.
- Learn to manipulate and visualise data in R and develop programming skills using Python
- Take up to three machine learning modules
The programme consists of eight taught modules and a project and dissertation. In semester one, you will take three compulsory modules and one elective module. In semester two, you will take four elective modules. Over the summer you will work on a research project which will allow you to develop strong applied data science research skills.
I enjoy the fact that I can use so many different statistical software such as R, SAS, Excel, Python etc. It is very rewarding as you will learn how to programme.— Mateusz Dawidowski, MSc Data Analytics