Professor Ferranti Wong, (BDS, MSc, PhD, FDSRCS(Ed), FDSRCS(Eng), FHEA
Professor & Honorary Consultant of Paediatric Dentistry Programme Lead of DClinDent (Paed Dent)
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 8745Room Number: Office 8, 4th Floor, Institute of Dentistry
Professor Wong was born in Hong Kong, had his secondary education in Glasgow and graduated as a dentist in Dundee University in 1982. His interest in working with children developed during his first post as a community dental officer. He pursued his passion by gaining an MSc in Children’s Dentistry (with distinction) at the then LHMC. Ferranti continued his career as a clinical lecturer and completed his PhD on the use of a novel X-ray Microtomography technique at Barts and The London Dental School.
He became Senior Lecturer / Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry in 1996 and was conferred as a Professor in 2010. He was an associate dean for the London Deanery in 2008-11, head of the Centre for Oral Growth & Development 2012-17 and became interim dean/director for Dentistry in 2017. He has many external roles including examiner for other schools/universities, SAB (PaedDent) chair for the Royal College of Edinburgh, Advisory Board member of Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Biomedical Materials, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Pakistan, and visiting professor of Magido University.
He has an international reputation and has been invited as keynote speakers in many conferences.
Professor Wong is a fellow of HEA. He teaches both UG and PG students covering most topics in paediatric dentistry. He is involved in the development of the BDS curriculum, both past and present. He was the lead of the Dental Postgraduate Committee (till 2017) and was responsible to develop the DClinDent courses. He is at present the programme lead for DClinDent in Paediatric Dentistry.
Professor Wong has broad research interests which include caries research, biomaterials, and dental trauma.
Caries research – He is involved in clinical trials including assessing the most effective and efficient ways to manage caries in deciduous teeth (FiCTION Trial), and the benefit of motivational interviews in prevention (RECUR trail). He uses a novel micro-CT scanner to quantify the mineral change concentration of biological hard tissues, and investigate the rate of mineral growth and boundary between carious and sound dentine.
Biomaterials research – Professor Wong has collaborations with material scientist to develop radiopaque infiltrating resin and bioactive glass containing resin for prevention and management of white spot lesions.
Dental Traumatology – He manages a database of patients with dental trauma. His research topics in this field include the societal cost in treating traumatised incisors, relationship between problem behaviour and trauma, and clinical management of traumatised teeth.
Other research interests include dental genetics on dental anomalies and age estimations.
He has completed 7 PhD supervisions and is currently supervisors of 4 PhD and 2 DClinDent students (2018). In additions, he has been suoervisors for more than 20 other PG projects.
- Al-eesa, NA, Wong, FSL, Johal, A and Hill, RG (2017). "Fluoride containing bioactive glass composite for orthodontic adhesives – ion release properties." Dental Materials 33(11): 1324-1329.
- Hassanali, L, Wong FS, Lynch RJM, Anderson P. (2017). "A Novel Kinetic Method to Measure Apparent Solubility Product of Bulk Human Enamel." Frontiers in Physiology 8(714).
- Muirhead V, Subramanian SK, Wright D, Wong FSL (2017). How do foster carers manage the oral health of children in foster care? A Qualitative Study. Community Dent. Oral. Epidemiol. (00:1-9) DOI:10.1111/cdoe.12316
- Pine C, Adair P., Burnside G, Robinson L, Edwards, RT, Albadri S, Curnow M, Ghahreman M, Henderson M, Malies C, Wong F, Muirhead V, Weston-Price, S, Whitehead, H. (2015). A new primary dental care service compared with standard care for child and family to reduce the re-occurrence of childhood dental caries (Dental RECUR): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 16:505-513.
- Noman AV, Wong F, Pawar, RR (2015). Canine Gouging: A Taboo Resurfacing in Migrant Urban Population. Case Reports in Dentistry, 2015: 1-5.
- Kaleem M., Khan A., Rehman, I., Wong F (2015). Effect of Beverages on Viscoelastic Properties of Resin-Based Dental Composites. Materials, 8: 2863-2872.
- AlFawaz S, Plagnol V, Wong FSL, Kelsell, D. (2015). A novel frameshift MSX1 mutation in a Saudi family with autosomal dominant premolar and third molar agenesis. Archives of Oral Biology, 60:982-988.
- Khan AS, Aamer S, Chaudhry A, Wong FS, Ur Rehman I (2013). Synthesis and characterizations of a fluoride-releasing dental restorative material. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 33: 3458-3464
- Zakir M, Al Kheraifa A, Asifb M, Wong FSL, Rehman IU (2013). A comparison of the mechanical properties of a modified silorane based dental composite with those of commercially available composite material. Dental Material 29: E53-E59
- Nazir R, Khan AS, Ahmed A, Ur-Rehman A, Chaudhry A, Rehman IU, Wong FSL (2013). Synthesis and in-vitro cytotoxicity analysis of microwave irradiated nano-apatites. Ceramics International 39:4339–4347.
- AlFawaz S, Fong F, Plagnol V, Wong FSL, Fearne J, Kelsell DP (2013) Recessive oligodontia linked to a homozygous loss-of-function mutation in the SMOC2 gene. Archives of Oral Biology. DOI:10.1016/j.archoralbio.2012.12.008
- Ahmed M, Davis GR, Wong FSL (2012). X-Ray Microtomography Study to Validate the Efficacies of Caries Removal in Primary Molars by Hand Excavation and Chemo-Mechanical Technique. Caries Res 46: 561-567. DOI: 10.1159/000341804
- Khan AS, Wong FSL, McKay IJ, Whiley RA, Rehman IU (2012). Structural, mechanical, and biocompatibility analyses of a novel dental restorative nanocomposite. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 127: 439-447. DOI: 10.1002/app.37841.
- Khan AS, Hassan KR, Bukhari SF, Wong FSL, Rehman IU (2012) Structural and in vitro adhesion analysis of a novel covalently coupled bioactive composite. J Biomed Mater Res Part B Appl Biomater 100B:239-48.
- Lygidakis, N. A., Wong F, Jälevik B, Vierrou A-M, Alaluusua S, Espelid I (2010). Best Clinical Practice Guidance for clinicians dealing with children presenting with Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation (MIH): An EAPD Policy Document. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 11: 75-81.
- Baldwin DJ, Kandiah T, Jay A, Wong F (2009) Glial choristoma of the tongue: report of a case and clinico-pathological features Int J Paed Dent 19: 219–22.
- Khan, AS, Aziz MS, Paul D, Wong F, Rehman IU (2008). Synthesis and In-Vitro Analysis of Degradative Resistance of a Novel Bioactive Composite. Journal of Bionanoscience 2: 1-12.
- Khan AS, Ahmed Z. Edirisinghe MJ, Wong FSL, Rehman IU (2008) Preparation and characterisation of a novel bioactiverestorative composite based on covalently coupled polyurethane-nano-hydroxyapatite fibres. Acta Biomaterialia 4:1275-1287
- Khan AS, Phillips MJ, Tanner KE, Wong, FSL (2008) Comparison of the visco-elastic behavior of a pre-impregnated reinforced glass fiber composite with resin-based composite. Dental Materials 24:1534–1538
- Atar M, Davis GR, Verry P., Wong, FS (2007) Enamel mineral concentration in diabetic rodents. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 8:195-200.
- Willmott NS, Wong FSL, Davis GR (2007) An X-ray Microtomography study on the mineral concentration of carious dentine removed during cavity preparation in deciduous molar. Caries Res 41:129-134.
- Wong FSL, Willmott NS, Davis GR (2006) Dentinal carious lesion in three dimensions. Int J Paed Dent 16:419-423.
- Leyland L, Batra P, Wong F, Llewelyn R (2006). A retrospective evaluation of the eruption of impacted permanent incisors after extraction of supernumerary teeth. J Clin Pediatr Dent 30:225-31
- Uslenghi S, Liversidge HM, Wong FSL (2006) A radiographic study of tooth development in hypodontia . Oral. Biol. 51:129-133
- Chia MSY, Wong FSL (2004) Severe extrusion from an apical abscess: a case report. Dental Update 31:602-607
- Wong FSL, Kolokotsa K (2004) The cost for treating children and adolescents with injuries in permanent incisors at a Dental Hospital in United Kingdom. Dental Traumatology 20:327-333
- Wong FSL, Anderson P, Fan H, Davis GR (2004) X-Ray Microtomographic Study Of Mineral Concentration Distribution In Deciduous Enamel. Oral. Biol. 49: 937-943
- Odoi R, Croucher R, Wong F, Marcenes W (2002) The relationship between problem behaviour and traumatic dental injury amongst children aged 7-15 years old. Community Dent. Oral. Epidemiol. 30:392-396.
- Wong FSL, Winter GB (2002) Effectiveness of Microabrasion Technique for Improvement of Dental Aesthetics. Dent. J. 193:155-158.
- Wong FSL, Shaw L (2001) Dental erosion in children - quo vadis. Dental Practice March 2001:24-28.
- Kindelan SA, Brook AH, Gangemi L, Lench N, Wong FSL, Fearne J, Jackson Z , Foster G, Stringer BMJ (2000) Detection of a novel mutation in X-linked Amelogenesis Imperfecta. Dent. Res. 79:1978 82.
- Wong FSL, Elliott JC, Davis GR, Anderson P (2000) X-ray microtomographic study of mineral distribution in enamel of mandibular rat incisors. J. Anat. 196: 405-413.
- Elliott JC, Wong FSL, Anderson P, Davis GR, Dowker SEP (1998) Determination of mineral concentration in dental enamel from X-ray attenuation measurements. Connective Tissue Research 38:61-72.
- Elliott JC, Davis GR, Anderson P, Wong FSL, Dowker SEP, Mercer CE (1997) Application of laboratory microtomography to the study of mineralised tissues. Anales de Química Int. 93:577-582.
- Wong FSL, Elliott JC (1997) Theoretical Explanation of the Relationship Between Backscattered Electron and X-ray Linear Attenuation Coefficients in Calcified Tissues. Scanning 19:541 546.
- Dowker SEP, Davis GR, Elliott JC, Wong FSL (1997) X-ray microtomography: 3-dimensional imaging of teeth for computer-assisted learning. J. Dent. Educ. 1:61-65.
- Wong FSL, Fearne JMF, Brook AH (1997) Planning future general anaesthetic services in paediatric dentistry on the basis of evidence: an analysis of children treated in the Day Stay Centre at the Royal Hospitals NHS Trust, London. Int. Dent. J. 47:285-292.
- Davis GR, Wong FSL (1996) X-ray microtomography of bones and teeth. Meas. 17:121-146.
- Wong FSL, Elliott JC, Anderson A, Davis GR (1995) Mineral concentration in rat femoral diaphyses measured by x-ray microtomography. Tissue Int. 56:62-70.
- Fearne JM, Elliott JC, Wong FSL, Davis GR, Boyde A, Jones S (1994) Deciduous enamel defects in low-birth-weight children: correlated X-ray microtomographic and backscattered electron imaging study of hypoplasia and hypomineralization. Embryol. 189:375-381.
- Elliott JC, Anderson P, Gao XJ, Wong FSL, Davis GR, Dowker SEP (1994) Application of scanning microradiography and x-ray microtomography to studies of bones and teeth. X-ray Sci. Technol. 4:102-117.
- Elliott JC, Anderson PA, Davis GR, Wong FSL, Dover SD (1994) Computed tomography. Part II: The practical use of a single source and detector. Miner. Met. Mater. 46:11-19.
- Elliott JC, Anderson P, Davis GR, Wong FSL, Dover SD, Boyde A (1992) X-ray microtomographic studies of bones and teeth. In: Michette AG, Morrison GR, Buckley CJ (eds) X-ray Microscopy III. Springer series in optical sciences, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, pp. 461-44.
- Wong FSL, Day SJ (1990) An investigation of factors influencing the longevity of restorations in primary dmolars. Int. Ass. Dent. Child. 20:11-6.
- Wong FSL, Day SJ (1989) The life-span of amalgam restorations in deciduous molars - some results and statistical comments. Community Dent. Oral Epidemiol. 17:248-51.
Candidates who are interested in research on dental hard tissues are encouraged to contact Professor Wong.