The BDS programme is based at the Institute of Dentistry, is attached to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. Students will also undertake extended outreach periods in a number of locations in the Docklands, Southend Outreach and the new dental outreach clinic at the Sir Ludwig Guttmann Centre in the former Olympic Polyclinic in Stratford.
The Institute of Dentistry provides a wide range of services and operates as a major centre for the local community and for patients who need specialist treatment. Experience of dental practice outside the Institute also forms an important part of your learning.
Institute of Dentistry facilities include:
- 11 dedicated seminar rooms and a student learning centre
- 92 production laboratory spaces
- Digital imaging and two cutting-edge cone beam CT machines
- A PC in every operatory with ‘slave screen’ on chair for viewing images and discussing results with patient
- Modern facial-scanning equipment
- Facilities and services for 72 ‘phantom’ heads.