Dr Jimmy Makdissi, Statutory Exam 2001, FDS RCS Eng 2000, MSc Belf 1996, DDR RCR 2004, DDS Aleppo 1993
Clinical Senior Lecturer (Hcc) Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 20 7882 8643Room Number: Office 2, Floor 4, Institute of Dentistry
I joined Queen Mary University of London in 2004. I qualified with a DDS in 1993 from the University of Aleppo, completed a postgraduate diploma in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from the University of Damascus in 1995 and then a Master of Medical Sciences in Oral Surgery form Queen's University of Belfast. I then obtained my fellowship in Dental Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons in 1999 after spending a few years in hospital Senior House Officer posts in Belfast, Leeds and Cork. I completed my specialist training in Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology at Guy's Hospital and obtained my Diploma of Dental Radiology from the Royal College of Radiologists in 2004.
I served on the Education Committee of the International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology. I also served as the Dental Tutor for the London Deanery at Barts Health, the Faculty Tutor at the Royal College of surgeons and as president of the Metropolitan Branch of the British Dental Association. I served on the council of the British Society of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. I am an elected board member of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons.
I have been an invited speaker on number of national conferences (British Dental Association and British Association of Oral Surgery) and international conferences (Australia: The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Pakistan: Asia Pacific Dental Congress, Hungary: International Association of Head and Neck Radiology) and the USA: American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology.
I am the founder of JM Radiology, a specialist Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology service serving dental practices in the UK. I am also the founder of the CBCT Masterclass, a nationally delivered teaching for CBCT users in the UK.
I am currently doing my PhD on the use of MRI is Dentistry.
Centre: Oral Bioengineering
I have altered, re-designed and now direct the Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology programme of the undergraduate BDS curriculum along with introducing new lectures and tutorials into the course and a multi-disciplinary approach.
I deliver a number of lectures, seminars and practical classes, contribute to the design of the In Course Assessment and write exam questions. I supervise SSM modules for undergraduate MBBS students, deliver didactic and clinical teaching to postgraduate students, senior house officers and medical and dental specialist registrars
Dr Makdissi’s research interest include: is interested in:
• MRI TMJ
• Trauma Imaging
• CBCT application in dentistry
• Salivary glands imaging and intervention
• Imaging of Sjorgen Syndrome
- Grammatopoulos E, Murtadha L, Nair P, Holmes S, Makdissi J. Ultrasound guided removal of an airgun pellet from a patient's right cheek. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2008 Dec;37(8):473-6.
- Ngu RK, Brown JE, Whaites EJ, Drage NA, Ng SY, Makdissi J. Salivary duct strictures: nature and incidence in benign salivary obstruction. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2007 Feb;36(2):63-7.
- Cholia SS, Wilson PH, Makdissi J. Multiple idiopathic external apical root resorption: report of four cases. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2005 Jul;34(4):240-6.
- Drage NA, Brown JE, Makdissi J, Townend J. Migrating salivary stones: report of three cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005 Apr;43(2):180-2.
- Makdissi J, Escudier MP, Brown JE, Osailan S, Drage N, McGurk M. Glandular function after intraoral removal of salivary calculi from the hilum of the submandibular gland.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004 Dec;42(6):538-41.