Dr David Gillam, BA, BDS, MSc, DDS, FRSPH, MICR
Clinical Reader in Translational Research in relation to Dentistry.
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 8665Room Number: Office 11, Floor 4, Institute of Dentistry
Prior to joining QMUL in 2009 I gained extensive clinical experience in Germany and the UK working in general dental practice and community dentistry before undertaking a part time Master’s course in Periodontology at Guys Dental Hospital. I also worked at King’s Dental Hospital teaching both Dental Hygienists and Undergraduate students (1986-1988). I then worked for approximately 10 years at the Eastman Dental Institute for Oral HealthCare Sciences (1989-1998) as a Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow and University Lecturer. My main research interests included dentine Hypersensitivity and I conducted several clinical and laboratory studies as a Principal and Sub-Investigator as well as supervising MSc and associated projects (approximately 12).
During this time, I completed a three-year DDS thesis and entered the Specialist list for Periodontology. On leaving the University in 1998, I worked within Industry for several years (1998-2001) initially with SmithKline Beecham (Assistant Director in Oral care), and subsequently with Block Drug Company, Incorporated, USA (Assistant Director in Oral Care). During this time, I was involved in both laboratory and Clinical research in a managerial capacity and up to 2005 I had an Honorary Senior Lecturer position with UCL (Eastman Dental Institute). Following a short period of Consultancy with a European Company (Oral Care), I joined 4-Front Research as a Research Dentist in 2003. In this capacity I have been a Clinical Investigator, study dentist and clinical assessor for clinical studies on oral care products, which has also involved working with and supervising dental hygienists.
I provide lectures and seminars to both undergraduate and postgraduate students on a number of dental topics as well as marking and assessing undergraduate (2-5 Year BDS and DCP) and postgraduate as an Internal Examiner (Msc, MClin Dent, D Clin Dent and MSC courses). I also act as an internal Examiner for PhD progress reports. Currently I am a Personal Tutor for Group 4.3 BDS as well as supervising a number of undergraduate (SSC) and postgraduate projects and assignments (MSc, D Clin Dent and PhD). I am one of the AOH representatives on the PhD postgraduate committee.
I have experience in conducting approximately 50 Masters projects (including D Clin Dent and PhD) since 1990 and this has enabled me to help and teach research skills to primarily postgraduate students and complete the research project in the allocated time. I also have co-Supervised 4 PhD students (One completion). Most of these projects have subsequently been either presented (by the students) at conferences or published in peer reviewed journals.
My main research interests are in periodontology and in the management of Dentine Hypersensitivity and currently collaborates with Professor Robert Hill in the development of innovative oral care products, for example, novel bioactive glasses, hydroxyapatite toothpastes and mouthwashes for the treatment of various dental conditions. Dr Gillam has published over 100 papers and book chapters on a number of dental topics. Dr Gillam is also a referee for a number of dental journals and Editorial Boards. In 2009, I was a co-investigator with Professor Francis Hughes on a Clinical and Biological markers study which was part of a PhD study. I have also been a joint collaborator with Professor Robert Hill on a series of patents (Toothpaste and Mouthwash), as well as liaising with major Consumer HealthCare and Dental Companies on a series of dental materials for example bioactive glass, short chain polypeptides.
These activities have enabled the Dental Physical Sciences Unit to bring in finance to complete Masters and PhD projects as well as presenting the research at both national and International meetings. This has culminated in the team lead by Professor Robert Hill (Dr David Gillam, Dr Natalia Karpukhina and Pushkar Wadke) being awarded a £25,000 Materials science Venture Prize, awarded by the Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers. As a result, major Dental Companies have approached QMUL as well as the University gaining extensive coverage in the Dental and National press. This research has led to a QMUL spin off Company (Biomin Technologies) which has developed and produced a novel toothpaste currently being sold in several International countries (e.g. India, China).
I am currently a Non-Executive Director and Clinical Consultant for the Company. Further collaboration with another Consumer HealthCare Company lead to the development of a mouth rinse and toothpaste which is currently on sale in major retailers such as Boots. I have also been involved in the team led by Dr Mangala Patel (Agron Hoxton and Dr Andy Bushby) developing a novel dental product for early stage caries prevention and we have received several awards e.g., Barts Innovations in Healthcare Awards - Dragon's Den Style Award (£1500) and a QMI Proof of Concept Fund (£44,000).
I am the current Chair of the Internal Peer review Committee for assessing Staff and postgraduate projects prior to an Ethics Submission.
- Siaili, M Chatzopoulou D & Gillam DG (2017) An overview of periodontal regenerative procedures for the general dental practitioner. Saudi Dental Journal (2017), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2017.11.001.
- EZAWI AAE, GILLAM DG, TAYLOR PD (2017) The Impact of Removable Partial Dentures on the Health of Oral Tissues: A Systematic Review. Int J Dent Oral Health 3(1): doi http://dx.doi. org/10.16966/2378-7090.226
- GILLAM DG (2017) A New Perspective on Dentine Hypersensitivity - Guidelines for General Dental Practice. Dental Update 44: 33–42.
- Samueli A, HILL RG & GILLAM DG (2017) Bioactive Glasses in the Management of Dentine Hypersensitivity: A Review Dent Health Curr Res 2017, 3:2 DOI: 10.4172/2470-0886.1000128.
- Sultan DA, Hill RG & Gillam DG (2017) Air-Polishing in Subgingival Root Debridement: A Critical Literature Review. Journal of Dentistry and Oral Biology 2017 Volume 2 Issue 10 Article 1065.
- ALAZAWI W, BERNABE E, TAI D, JANICKI T, KEMOS P, SAMSUDDIN S, Syn W-K, GILLAM DG & TURNER W. (2017) Periodontitis is associated with significant hepatic fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Accepted for publication PLOS-ONE.
- Chen X, Gulfam F, Gillam DG & Hill RG (2017). Characterization of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate based products with and without sodium fluoride, International Journal of Development Research, 7, (11), 17221-17224.
- MORGAN E, MNEIMNE M, GILLAM DG, HILL RG (2016) Comparison of Cervical and Mid Coronal Dentine Using a Desensitizing Bioactive Glass Toothpaste: A Pilot Study. JSM Dent 4(3): 1068.
- GHOSH-DASTIDAR R, GILLAM DG, ISLAM SS (2016) Socio-Demographic and Oral Health Related Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease in Inner North East London (INEL) Adults: A Secondary Analysis of the INEL Data. Int J Dent Oral Health 2(6): doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2378-7090.215
- SAURO S, LIN CY, BIKKER FJ, CAMA G, DUBRUEL P, SORIA JM, D’ONOFRIO A, GILLAM D (2016) Di-calcium-phosphate and phytosphingosine as an innovative acid resistant treatment to occlude dentine tubules. Caries Research 50(3):303-309.
- GILLAM DG (2015) Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed) DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- PRATI C, GILLAM DG, GANDOLFI MG (2015) Chapter 6 Advances in in vitro testing techniques for Dentine Hypersensitivity In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- CURRO F.A. & GILLAM, D.G. (2015) Chapter 7, Challenging the Traditional Approach to the Conduct of Dentine Hypersensitivity Studies: Person-Centric Studies Connecting the Patient with Their Practitioner to Optimize the Clinical Outcome. In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed) DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- PEREIRA JC, SALES-PERES SH, FRANCISCONI-DOS-RIOS LF, CALABRIA MP, ISHIKIRIAMA SK, GILLAM D, WANG L (2015). Chapter 8 Current and Novel clinical approaches for the treatment of Dentine Hypersensitivity. In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- GILLAM DG & RAMSEIER CA (2015) Chapter 10: Advances in the Management of the patient with Dentine Hypersensitivity: Motivation and prevention. In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- HILL RG & GILLAM DG (2015) Chapter 11: Future strategies for the development of desensitising products. In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- GILLAM DG (2015) Chapter 12 Closing Remarks Quo Vadis? In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Advances in Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment David G. Gillam (ed). DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-14577-8, © Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- GILLAM DG & TURNER W (2015) Ch. 3.2 Treatment Planning: The management of gingival recession. In: Practical Periodontics. Eds Eaton KA & Ower P. Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier Limited, UK pp. 171-185
- ALBANAI SR, GILLAM DG & TAYLOR PD (2015) An Overview on the Effects of 10% and 15% Carbamide Peroxide and its Relationship to Dentine Sensitivity. EJPRD 23 (2) 50-55.
- GILLAM DG (2015) Management of Dentin Hypersensitivity. Current Oral Health Reports 2:87–94. doi:10.1007/s40496-015-0047-x
- GILLAM JL, WILLIAMS A & GILLAM, DG (2015) Nursing Staff & Oral Care Awareness. Int J Dentistry Oral Health 2(1): doi http://dx.doi.org/ 10.16966/2378-7090.162.
- HILL RG, GILLAM DG & CHAN H (2015) The ability of a nanohydroxyapatite toothpaste and oral rinse containing fluoride to protect enamel during an acid challenge using 19F solid state NMR spectroscopy. Materials Letters 156; 69–71.
- HILL RG, CHEN X & GILLAM DG (2015) In Vitro Ability of a Novel Nanohydroxyapatite Oral Rinse to Occlude Dentine Tubules. International Journal of Dentistry Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 153284, 7 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/153284
- JAMELLE A, HILL R & GILLAM D (2015) In-vitro properties of calcium phosphate cement as a bone grafting material. International Dental Journal of Student’s Research, April-June 2015;3(2):43-45.
- MANN RS, MARCENES W, GILLAM DG. (2015) Is there a role for community pharmacists in promoting oral health? Br Dent J. 2015 Mar 13;218(5):E10. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.172.
- GILLAM DG (2014) Chapter 5 Treatment Approaches for Dentin Hypersensitivity. In S. Taha, B.H. Clarkson (eds.), Clinician’s Guide to the Diagnosis and Management of Tooth Sensitivity, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-45164-5_5, © Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014, pp 51-79.
- GILLAM DG (2014) Chapter 6 Treatment Modalities for Dentin Hypersensitivity. In S. Taha, B.H. Clarkson (eds.), Clinician’s Guide to the Diagnosis and Management of Tooth Sensitivity, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-45164-5_5, © Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014, pp 81-96.
- GILLAM DG & TALIOTI E (2014) Chapter 4 The management of dentine hypersensitivity In: Dentine Hypersensitivity: Developing A Person-Centred Approach to Oral Health, Ed PG Robinson, Elsevier (A division of Reed Elsevier India Pvt. Ltd.) 45-76.
- Al- SHAYEB K, TURNER W & GILLAM DG (2014) Periodontal probing: A Review. Primary Dental Journal 3: 25-29.
- Al- SHAYEB K, TURNER W & GILLAM DG (2014) In-vitro accuracy and reproducibility evaluation of probing depth measurements of selected periodontal probes. The Saudi Dental Journal 26, 19–24.
- Al- SHAYEB K, TURNER W & GILLAM DG (2014) Accuracy and reproducibility of probe forces during simulated periodontal pocket depth measurements. The Saudi Dental Journal 26, 50-55.
- GILLAM DG & TURNER W (2014) Antibiotics in the treatment of periodontal disease: A guide for the General Dental practitioner. Primary Dental Journal 3: 43-47.
- SIAILI, M CHATZOPOULOU D, & GILLAM DG (2014) Preferences of UK-Based Dentists When Undertaking Root Coverage and Regenerative Procedures: A Pilot Questionnaire Study. International Journal of Dentistry. Article ID 548519, 7 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2014/548519.
- TALIOTI, E, HILL R & GILLAM DG (2014) The Efficacy of Selected Desensitizing OTC Products: A Systematic Review. ISRN Dentistry Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 865761, 14 pages http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1155/2014/865761.
- MAHMOOD A, MNEIMNE M, ZOU, L-F HILL RG, AND GILLAM DG (2014) Abrasive wear of enamel by bioactive glass-based toothpastes American Journal of Dentistry 2014; 27: 263-267.
- GILLAM DG (2013) Current diagnosis of dentin hypersensitivity in the dental office: an overview. Clin Oral Invest 17 (Suppl 1):S21–S29.
- GILLAM DG, CHESTERS RK ATTRILL DC, BRUNTON P, SLATER M, STRAND P, WHELTON H & BARTLETT D (2013) Dentine Hypersensitivity - Guidelines for the Management of a Common Oral Health Problem. Dental Update.40:514-524.
- KARIM BFA & GILLAM DG (2013) The Efficacy of Strontium and Potassium Toothpastes in Treating Dentine Hypersensitivity: A Systematic Review International Journal of Dentistry Volume 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/573258
- LIN Y H & Gillam DG (2012) The prevalence of root sensitivity following periodontal therapy: A systematic review. International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2012, Article ID 407023, 12 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/407023.
- LYNCH E, BRAUER DS, KARPUKHINA N, GILLAM DG & HILL RH (2012) Multicomponent bioactive glasses of varying fluoride content for treating dentine hypersensitivity. Dental Materials 28 168-178.
- ALI S, HILL R & GILLAM DG (2012) Dentine Hypersensitivity and Abrasivity of Bioactive Glass Toothpaste. Abrasivity of Bioactive Glass toothpaste for treating Dentine Hypersensitivity LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, AV Akademikerverlag, GMBH & Co, KG, Saarbrucken Germany
- GILLAM, D.G. & ORCHARDSON, R. (2006) Advances in the treatment of root dentine sensitivity: mechanisms and treatment principles. Endodontic Topics 13: 13-33. (Guest Authors)
- ORCHARDSON, R & GILLAM, D.G. (2006) Managing dentin hyper-sensitivity. Journal of the American Dental Association 137: 990-998.
- PEREIRA, J.C., SEGALA, A.D. & GILLAM, D.G. (2005) Effect of desensitizing agents on the hydraulic conductance of human dentin subjected to different surface pre-treatments - in vitro study. Dental Materials 21: 129-138.
- AHMED, T.R., MORDAN, N .J., GILTHORPE, M.S., GILLAM, D.G. (2005) In vitro quantification of changes in human dentine tubule parameters using SEM, digital image analysis and multilevel modelling. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 32: 589-597.
- GILLAM, D.G., NEWMAN, H.N., DAVIES, E.H., BULMAN, J.S., TROULLOS, E.S. & CURRO, F.A. (2004) Clinical Evaluation of Ferric Oxalate In Relieving Dentine Hypersensitivity (DH). Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 31: 245-250.
- TAN, B., GILLAM, D.G., MORDAN, N.J. & GALGUT, P.N. (2004) A preliminary investigation into the ultrastructure of dental calculus and associated bacteria. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 31: 364-369.
- SCHAFER, F., NICHOLSON, J.A., GERRITSEN, N., WRIGHT, R.L., GILLAM, D.G. & HALL, C. (2003) The effect of oral care feed-back devices on plaque removal and attitudes towards oral care. International Dental Journal (Supplement 1) 53: 404-408.
- ADAMS, SE, THEOBALD, A.J., JONES, N.M., BRADING, M.G., COX, T.F., MENDEZ, A. CHESTERS, D., GILLAM, D.G., HALL, C. & HOLT, J. (2003) The effect of a toothpaste containing 2% zinc citrate and 0.3% Triclosan on bacterial viability and plaque growth in vivo compared to a toothpaste containing 0.3% Triclosan and 2% copolymer. International Dental Journal (Supplement 1) 53: 398-403.
- GILLAM, D.G., BULMAN, J.S., EIJKMAN, M.A.J. & NEWMAN, H.N. (2002) Dentists’ perception of dentine hypersensitivity and knowledge of its treatment. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 29:219-225.
- GILLAM, D.G., TANG, J., MORDAN, N.J. & NEWMAN, H.N. (2002) The Effects of a Novel Bioglass® Dentifrice on the exposed dentine surface. A Scanning Electron Microscopy Investigation Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 29:305-313.
- GILLAM, D.G., MORDAN, N.J., SINODINOU, A.D., TANG, J.Y., KNOWLES, J.C., & GIBSON, I.R. (2001) The Effects of Oxalate-containing products on the Exposed Dentine Surface: An SEM investigation Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 28: 1037-1044
- CHOUDHURY, M., NEEDLEMAN, I., GILLAM, D. & MOLES, D.R. (2001) Systemic and local antimicrobial use in periodontal therapy in England and Wales. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 28:833-839.
- WENNSTROM, J.L., NEWMAN, H.N., MACNEILL, S.R., KILLOY, W.J., GRIFFITHS, G.S., GILLAM, D.G., KROK, L., NEEDLEMAN, I.G., WEISS, G. & GARRETT, S. (2001) Utilisation of locally delivered doxycycline in non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitis. A comparative multi-centred trial of two treatment approaches. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 28: 753-761.
- ORCHARDSON, R & GILLAM, D.G. (2000) The efficacy of potassium salts as agents for treating dentine hypersensitivity. Journal of Orofacial Pain 14: 9-19
- GILLAM, D.G., ORCHARDSON, R., NARHI, M.V.O. & KONTTURI-NARHI, V. (2000) Present and Future methods for the evaluation of pain associated with dentine hypersensitivity. In: Toothwear and Sensitivity Addy, M., Embery, G., Edgar, W.M. & Orchardson, R. (Eds) Martin Dunitz Ltd, London, pp 283-297.
- GILLAM, D.G., SEO, H.S., BULMAN, J.S. & NEWMAN, H.N. (1999) Perceptions of Dentine Hypersensitivity in a General Practice Population. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 26: 710-714.
- OSHOWO, A., TUNIO, M., GILLAM, D., BOTHA, A.J., HOLTON, J., BOULOS, P. & HOBSLEY, M. (1998) Oral colonisation is unlikely to play an important role in Helicobacter pylori infection. British Journal of Surgery 85: 850-852.
- OSHOWO, A., GILLAM, D., BOTHA, A., HOLTON, J., TUNIO, M., BOULOS, P. & HOBSLEY, M. (1998) Helicobacter pylori: The Mouth, Stomach and Gut Axis. Annals of Periodontology 3: 276-280.
- MORDAN, N.J., BARBER, P.M. & GILLAM, D.G. (1997) The Dentine Disc. A Review of its Applicability as a Model for the In Vitro Testing of Dentine Hypersensitivity. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 24: 148-156
- GILLAM, D.G., MORDAN, N.J. & NEWMAN, H.N. (1997) The Dentin Disc Surface: A Plausible Model for Dentin Physiology and Dentin Sensitivity Evaluation. Advances in Dental Research. 11 (4) 487-501.
- LING, T.Y.Y., GILLAM, D.G, BARBER, P.M., MORDAN, N.Y. & CRITCHELL, J. (1997) An Investigation of potential desensitizing agents in the Dentine Disc model. A Scanning Electron Microscopy study. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 24: 191-203.
- GILLAM, D.G. (1997) Clinical Trial Designs for Testing of Products for Dentine Hypersensitivity - A Review. Periodontal Abstracts 45: 37-46.