Dr Amitha Ranauta, BDS, LLM, Phd, SFHEA, FDTFEd
Clinical Senior Lecturer and Director of Undergraduate Dental Education
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0) 20 7882 7322Room Number: Office 1, Floor 5, Institute of Dentistry
Amitha qualified as a dentist from Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1996. On completion of vocational training and whilst working in general dental practice, she pursued her special interest in ethics and law by completing her Medical Law degree at Cardiff University in 2000. She also completed the Communication Skills Teaching Programme at the University of Cambridge in 2011.
Amitha started working at Barts and The London in 2006 as a clinical lecturer and is now senior clinical lecturer and module convenor for the teaching of Professionalism, Ethics and Law and Communication Skills in the dental curriculum. She was appointed as an honorary lecturer of the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons in 2015.
Amitha successfully completed her PhD thesis, 'Professionalism in the dental undergraduate curriculum', in 2016. Since then she has explored the Role of Reflective Practice in General Dental Practice, examining patient feedback and the role of patients as educators. In November 2020, she was appointed Associate Dean (Dental Foundation) at Health Education England.
Professionalism education Ethics and Law Communication Skills Reflective Practice.
Professionalism, Dental Education, Reflective Practice, the Role of Patients as educators.
- British Dental Journal - Developing understanding and enactment of professionalism: undergraduate dental students' perceptions of influential experiences in this process. Ranauta; , D. Freeth; & E. Davenport. BDJ volume 225, pages 662–666 (12 October 2018)
- Yuvaraj A, Mahendra VS, Chakrapani V, Yunihastuti E, Santella AJ, Ranauta A, Doughty J; HIV and stigma in the healthcare setting, Oral Dis 26 Suppl 1:103-111 Sep 202
- Sharma Mahendra, V, Ranauta, A, Yuvraj, A, Santella, AJ, Taslim, A, Doughty, J. The role of patient and public involvement in oral health and HIV/AIDS research, practice and policy. Oral Dis. 2020; 26(Suppl. 1): 117– 122
- Coulthard, P, Tappuni, AR, Ranauta, A. Oral health and HIV: What dental students need to know. Oral Dis. 2020; 26(Suppl. 1):47– 53. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.13389
- Ranauta, A, Tappuni, A, Coulthard, P. HIV Teaching: A dental curriculum which fosters knowledge and attitude. Oral Dis. 2020; 26(Suppl. 1): 123– 126. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.13401