Professor Dr Malik R. Dahlan holds the Chair of International Law and Public Policy at Queen Mary University of London.
He was the Professor of International Law, Trade and Policy at CCLS until 2018. His academic career, distinguished by its breadth disciplines and his wealth of experience and expertise, is known for being at the cutting edge of the intersection of law and policy. Before joining the Queen Mary faculty, Professor Dahlan practiced regulatory law for fifteen years across many sectors including energy, defence, trade, government affairs, rule of law among others. His experience in renewable energy extends beyond legal practice into investment and entrepreneurship, as he owned the Gulf’s first private renewable energy company and was the international chair of the largest renewable energy private equity fund in the world.
At CCLS, Professor Dahlan sits on the Advisory Council. He is also a Professor of The Energy Law Institute (ELI) and a member of the ELI Steering Board. He leads the Trade Initiative and sits on the Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs) Working Group. He teaches Energy Law and Ethics, Renewable Energy Law and Energy Geopolitics; and supervises LLM and PhD dissertations on trade, energy and ethics, investment, Investor-State Disputes (ISDS), and dispute resolution (please see supervision areas section for greater detail.)
In parallel to his academic work, Professor Dahlan is the Principal of Institution Quraysh for Law & Policy (iQ), a multifaceted transnational professional services company in London. He is a multijurisdictional lawyer, a CEDR accredited mediator, and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
He is an Adjunct of the Rand Corporation, an Advisory Board member of the Institute for Legal and Constitutional Research at the University of St. Andrew’s, and a member of the Boston University Pardee School of Global Studies Dean’s Advisory Board. He also sits on the editorial board of Defence Strategic Communications, NATO’s academic journal.
He held several visiting professorships. In 2019, Professor Dahlan was named Senior Mediation Fellow at Harvard University Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies the Negotiation Task Force, where he was leading the ‘Jerusalem First’ and the ‘Harvard ISDS Mediation Colloquium’ projects. Professor Dahlan continues to lead institutional collaborations with the and Harvard University and the University of Cambridge (Centre of Geopolitics and Grand Strategy). Between 2014 and 2015, he was at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, Peterhouse College, University of Cambridge. His fellowship focused on the concept of statehood in international law contrasted with Islamic law (The Hijaz). He was also visiting at the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a research focus primarily driven by international law and international relations methods and the application of neo-functionalism theory on the model of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
Professor Dahlan completed his Professoriate qualification (al-‘Alemiyyah’) Habilitation Higher Doctorate (LLD) in Law and Public Policy at Al-Azhar University. He completed three Harvard University master’s degrees: in Government at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS); an LL.M at Harvard Law School, and; an AM in Regional Studies at the Center for Middle East Studies (CMES). Professor Dahlan earned his LLB from the University of Jordan.
Professor Dahlan continues to share his insights on impactful subjects through media interventions and publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and the BBC.
- QLLM379 Energy Law: Renewable and Nuclear Energy
- QLLM382 Energy Law and Ethics.
Trade (Law and Policy), International Law and Statehood, International Trade Law, Dispute Resolution (Mediation, Arbitration, ISDS), Energy Law and Ethic Renewable Energy, Islamic Law, Middle East Studies, Dispute Resolution in the Middle East, Political Economy, Geopolitics, Global Investment Law and Policy, and Belt and Road Initiative.
Professor Dahlan is working on developing a student research handbook on energy law and ethics, as well as an introduction to renewable energy law with a particular focus on solar and wind energy.
- ‘The Research Handbook on Energy Law and Ethics’ (forthcoming - Edward Elgar Publishing.) Co-editor with Rosa Lastra
- ‘The Hijaz: The First Islamic State’ Hurst Publishing, jointly with Oxford University Press, forthcoming (June 2018)
- The Application of the Objectives of Islamic Law on Public Policy’ Al-Azhar, Samo Press, Beirut 2017
- ‘Manliness. A Translation and Commentary on Hamza Shihata’s lecture: Ar-Rujulah Imad Al-Khuluq Al-Fadel’ (Manliness: The Pillar of Virtuous Ethic) Haus Publishing 2016.
- 'Legal Aspects of The Belt and Road Initiative: How China Is Shaping Global Investment Law and Policy' (Forthcoming)
- ‘Encyclopaedia of Islam III – The Hijaz Brill (Forthcoming)
- ‘The Hijaz and International Law’, Oxford Bibliographies in International Law (Forthcoming)
- ‘Dispute Regulation in the Institutional Development of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: Establishing the Normative Legal Implications of the Belt and Road Initiative’, Brill | Nijhoff, AIIB Yearbook of International Law, Volume: 2, 121-144, 2019
- ‘On finding the ethical in the age of digital battle spaces’ NATO Defense Strategic Communications, Volume 6, 245-57, Spring 2019
- ‘Dispute Resolution and the Institutional Development of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: The Normative Legal Implications of the Belt and Road Initiative’, Asia Business Law Journal.
- ‘The Hijaz in Perspective: Islamic Statehood and The Origins of Arab Self-Determination (1916-2016)’ Hurst Publishing, Centre for Global Constitutionalism, University of St Andrews, Working Paper No. 3, January 2018
- Dimensions of the New Belt Road Order: An Analysis of the Emerging Legal Norms and a Conceptionalisation of the Regulation of Disputes, Beijing Law Review, 2018 (forthcoming)
- ‘Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) Reconceptionalized: Regulation of Disputes, Standards, and Mediation.’ Pepperdine (forthcoming).
Conferences / conference papers
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) Mediation Colloquium, Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, Harvard University, Boston, 4th December 2019
- The IISS Manama Dialogue, 15th Regional Security Summit. Manama, Bahrain, 22nd-24th November 2019
- Lecture on legal and political issues related to the Belt and Road Initiative to senior management at Department for International Trade Legal Advisers. 11th November 2019
- Jerusalem First: Mediated the Westphalia Simulation for for Peace in the Middle East conference, University of Cambridge UK 8th November 2019
- Presentation at the annual Summit for the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), Beijing; and participated in the Belt & Road Arbitration Summit ahead of the ‘Beijing Joint Declarations for BRI Arbitration Institutions’. 6th-7th November 2019
- Lecture at ECULP in Shanghai to masters and PhD student and academic staff. 4th November 2019
- Harvard University ‘Negotiating Peace in Global Complexity: Chaos, Conflict, and Cooperation in Central Asia and the Middle East’. 21st September 2019
- Panellist, co-host and presenter at the Philip Lader Renaissance Weekend in Jackson Hole Labour Day 29th August- 3rd September 2019
- Chaired and lead panel discussion for trial with academic students and researchers at St Andrews University. This included an expert panel discussing modern legal issues arising from trial. 3rd May 2019
- Hosted and co-convened with BIICL the Belt and Road Initiative and Global Dispute Resolution Forum for the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) 2nd May 2019
- CCLS Debate: Future in Energy Law. 21st March 2019
- International Law Summit: Energy Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in the Middle East and Africa, London 7th March 2019
- BCLP and BIICL Conference. 5th March 2019
- Talk at Cambridge University on the recently published book ‘The Hijaz’. 25th February 2019
- Evolution not Revolution: CIArb’s work on ISDS reform at UNCITRAL WG III 13th February 2019
- Forbes Global CEO Conference, Bangkok, 30th-31st October 2018
- CIETAC (China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission), Beijing 19th October 2018
- Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC). 19th October 2018
- Chinese Academy for Social Sciences, International Seminar on the Belt & Road initiative and Energy Connectivity, Beijing 15th-19th October 2018
- ECT Research Centre and CEC (China Electricity Council), Beijing 26th September 2018
- Speaker at the AIIB Conference - International Organisations and the Promotion of Effective Dispute Resolution, Beijing 5th-6th September 2018
- National University of Singapore, Singapore 5th-6th July 2018
- GIGA-Pin Conference - New Diplomacy for new types of Conflicts. From Regional Conflicts to Regional Negotiations: Rethinking Peace Processes. Hamburg, Germany 2nd - 3rd July 2018
- Speaker at the Aspen Ideas, Festival, 24th-27th June 2018
- Book Launch for ‘The Hijaz’, book launch which was attended by the University Vice Chancellor, Oxford. 7th June 2018
- Oxford Union Debate, 7th June 2018
- Beirut Institute Summit Edition II, 12th -13th May 2018
- Conference/workshop: Saudi Arabia and Iran - Beyond Conflict and Co-Existence, London School of Economics, 8th May 2018
- LCILP 3rd Annual Energy Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in the Middle East and Africa Conference, ‘Saudi Aramco – What does flotation mean for the sector’, London, 6th-7th March 2018.
- China-Middle East Relations: The Belt & Road. Center for Middle East Policy Development at UCLA. 24th February 2018
- ‘Islamic Statehood and the Origins of Arab Self-Determination (1916-2016)’, a talk by Professor Malik R. Dahlan (Quraysh), Old Class Library, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, 30th November 2017.
[PhD and MA candidates in politics and public policy are also encouraged to submit requests for supervision in relevant topics.]
- International Trade Law
- Investment Law and Policy
- Dispute Resolution - Mediation & Negotiation
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)
- Energy Law and Policy
- Renewable Energy Law and Policy
- Law and Ethics; Islamic Law
He is currently accepting PhD supervision applications on the following specific topics:
- International Trade & Innovation:
- China’s Belt & Road Initiative (BRI) or ‘One Belt One Road’
- Trade Fragmentation
- Brexit Policy; Brexit: negotiations & policy implications
- Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs)
- Soft Law / Sharp Law
- Regulation of Digital Spaces
- Trade Policy: BITs, FTAs, FDI among others
- Artificial Intelligence and Disruptive Innovation.
In Dispute Resolution:
- Mediation and Negotiation
- Mixed-Mode Dispute Resolution
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS).
In Energy Law:
- Law and Ethics
- Energy Transition
- Energy Law
- Renewable Energy Law
- Climate Change.
In International Law and Public Policy
- Regulation & Public Policy
- International Organization
- Islamic Law, Middle East Studies, Political Economy, Geopolitics.
- Board Member, International Mediation Institute (IMI), The Hague, Netherlands.
- Member, International Advisory Council, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, US (MGH)
- Member, Partners HealthCare Corporation, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Member, President’s Council, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Advisory Board of the St Andrews Institute for Legal and Constitutional Research (ILCR)
- Board of Trustees of Coexist House, London
- Justice Associate , Aspen Institute’s Justice and Society Program
- Member, Timbuktu Renaissance Presidential Action Group, Mali
- Advisory Board of the University of Toronto-Yale Middle East Law and Governance Interdisciplinary Journal (MELG)
- Working Group, Energy and Natural Resources Law Institute.
- Board of Trustees for the Arab British Centre, London
- Board of Directors of the Qatar Medical Corporation (Hamad), Qatar
- World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on the Future of the Middle East, Davos
- Founding President of Harvard Law School Association of Arabia, Middle East & North Africa
- Secretary, Harvard Law School Association of the United Kingdom
- International Chair, Harvard Law School Association
- Editorial Board of the UCLA Journal of Middle East Development
- Advisory Board of the University of London School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) Centre for Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s (CIMEL’s) Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law.
Conferences / conference papers
- Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week: World Future Energy Summit 15-18 January 2017
- Speaker at the Middle East Institute, National University of Singapore NUS conference on- Saudi Arabia after the Arab Uprisings: Domestic, Regional and International Challenges, 12-13 December 2016
- 16th Annual Forbes Global CEO Conference: Rising to the Challenge, 29 November -1 December 2016
- 163rd Bergedorf Round Table: A Westphalia for the Middle East Korber Foundation, 11-13 November 2016
- Interviewed for ILCR University of St Andrew’s project on The Law’s Two Bodies, 7 November 2016
- International Task Force Summit for Mixed Mode Dispute Resolution, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University 23 and 24 September 2016
- Opening address, PIMIC-ITN Forum. Inquiry into the Consequences of PIMIC in the Contemporary World, 24-25 June 2016
- Speaker on the Implications of Recent Events in Iran and the Middle East at Dentons’ Global Energy Summit 17 May 2016.