Materials and Materialism in Theatre and Performance
The Department of Drama takes a materialist approach to performance. We emphasise the question of social justice within theatre and performance practices, in areas such as pay, education, hierarchy, backstage and onstage labour, funding, property development, and the economic contexts of theatrical production. We investigate infrastructures and logistics in the production of performance. Our materialist approaches include scholarship on the previously neglected areas of backstage work and performance materials, such as costume, garments, light, and atmosphere.
- Nicholas Ridout – Scenes from Bourgeois Life
- Michael McKinnie – Theatre in Market Economies
- Bridget Escolme – Shakespeare and Costume in Practice
- Shane Boyle – Postdramatic Theatre and Form
- Jen Harvie – Specialist Advisor on the 2017 House of Lords Select Committee of Communications Inquiry into the Theatre Industry.