Live Art and Canonicity
The Department of Drama explores how performance is made and shown in non-theatrical spaces, and the effects of aesthetic innovation, difficulty and risk on audiences and institutions. We particularly emphasise new approaches to the canon, either through reworkings of influential texts, the investigations of chronic illness through the archive, or oral histories that propose alternative histories of live art. We also publish collaboratively with artists.
- It’s All Allowed: The Performances of Adrian Howells by Dominic Johnson
- Scottee I Made It edited by Jen Harvie
- Survival of the Sickest, the art of Martin O'Brien
- The Art of Living: An Oral History of Performance Art by Dominic Johnson
- The Only Way Home Is Through the Show: Performance Work of Lois Weaver edited by Jen Harvie and Lois Weaver
- Unlimited Action: The Performance of Extremity in the 1970s by Dominic Johnson