Our Students' Union
My five Maltese must-sees
Gautam Datta, second-year student and Barts Malta student president, reveals his top five destinations on the islands and why you shouldn’t miss them.
1. St John’s Co-cathedral in Valletta - “Beautiful, peaceful and relaxing, this impressive Roman Catholic cathedral dates back to the 16th century and is the perfect place to learn about the history of Valletta and Malta. I had a look around before joining the university and it left a big impression on me.”
2. Xlendi Bay, Gozo - “There’s no better place to watch the sun dip behind the horizon than Xlendi on the west coast of Gozo. It’s also a stunning location for meeting friends and going for walks along the cliffs.”
3. Three Cities boat trip from Valletta - “You’ll learn a lot about Malta’s history with a boat trip across the Grand Harbour from Valletta to the Three Cities: Vittoriosa, Senglea and Cospicua. These fortresses provided homes to settlers back to the Knights of St John and more recently have provided backdrops for blockbuster films including Gladiator and The Da Vinci Code.”
4. Ramla Bay, Gozo - “A beautiful beach with great coastal walks – the perfect spot to chill and enjoy a barbecue with friends at the weekend.”
5. Carnival Weekend in Nadur - “This unique festival experience in February is something everyone should experience. There are parades of floats with characters in fancy dress, a DJ playing in the main square of Nadur and various competitions – anything goes! Students, staff and locals all mix together and there’s a real buzz in the streets.”
Societies and clubs
The Gozo Society is a student-led organisation that represents students at Barts and the London, Malta and is the hub of student-led activity.
The society is run by students voted into positions each academic year, led by the Student President and supported by the other members of the committee. The committee meets every month to discuss issues facing students as well as ways of improving student experience, working alongside Barts and the London Students' Association.
Throughout the year the society runs a number of events and activities such as a games nights, film nights as well as de-stressor events before exams. There are two flagship events each year; Christmas Dinner and End of year party – both organised by Gozo Society. In addition, the society runs a growing number of sports clubs including football, netball, basketball, cricket and badminton, among others.