Some of the current opportunities and support available is listed below. This will updated periodically, so keep checking back!
If you feel anything is missing (e.g. a study skills workshop that you would benefit from), you wish to give feedback on any of the below, or you feel you require extra support in some way, please contact email@example.com
What is Pathways Plus?
This programme provides 1st year university students with insight and experience in the legal sector. Run in partnership with DLA Piper, Hogan Lovells and Linklaters, the programme includes:
- A three-day residential in London
- E-mentoring from one of the sponsor firms
- The opportunity to apply for summer work experience placements
- A law careers fair
- Application support for vacation schemes and training contracts
Further information can be found on the Sutton Trust website.
Who can apply?
In order to be eligible, applicants must:
- Be in their first year of university
- Have attended a state school
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have achieved at least AAB at A-level (or equivalent)
- Have received Free School Meals
- Are in the first generation of your family to go to university
- Attended a school with a high percentage of students on Free School Meals, or with a low progression rate to university.
We have received excellent feedback from this programme in the past, so we would love to extend the opportunity to students at Queen Mary University London.
Applications for the current cohort are now closed.
Access to the Bar
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple currently offers up to 30 placements, which include one week in a set of barristers chambers and one week marshalling (e.g. sitting in court alongside a judge), designed to encourage able students from disadvantaged and/or underrepresented backgrounds to gain experience of what a career at the Bar involves.
Queen Mary School of Law may submit two applications to the Middle Temple for consideration. The scheme is open to undergraduates who;
- are in the second, third or fourth year of a qualifying law degree, or taking the Graduate Diploma in Law or an equivalent conversion course.
- have little or no family history of higher or professional education.
- completed secondary education in a state school. (In exceptional circumstances, students who attended secondary education in a fee-paying school may be considered.)
- are not a member of the Honourable Society of Inner Temple, The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn or the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn.
Recipients of the Inner Temple Pegasus Access and Support Scheme will not be eligible to receive an Access to the Bar Award.
How to apply
Applications for 2022 are now open!
Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Midday on Wednesday 9 February. Late applications will not be accepted.
If you have any questions or have not received the email, please contact email@example.com.
Career Focus Partnership
European law firm, Fieldfisher, and Queen Mary School of Law are working in partnership to bring an excellent career development opportunity to 15 – 20 first year LLB students from ethnicities which are currently underrepresented in law. The successful applicants will become Career Focus Partnership Scholars and will attend four skills sessions at Fieldfisher’s Central London offices before being invited to interview for possible internship positions.
Applications are now open. Find out more about the Career Focus Partnership.
Lawyers Volunteering for the Arts began life in 2010 when a small group of interested law firms formed a working group to try and address the legal needs of low income arts organisations across England and Wales. Since 2012, a pro bono referral initiative has seen firms assist arts groups across the country on a wide range of legal issues.
This scholarship will enable a law student to support the LVFA initiative whilst gaining practical experience of the pro bono advice sector and financial support. Find out more about this opportunity on the LVFA Scholarship page.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The School of Law has a number of bursaries and scholarships available to students throughout the academic year. Please refer to the bursaries and scholarships page for more information.