Dr John R Prowle, MA MB BChir MSc MD FFICM FRCP
Senior Clinical Lecturer
Centre: Critical Care and Perioperative Medicine Research Group
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44(0) 20 3594 0322
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5002-2721
Dr Prowle is a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine within Prof. Rupert Pearse’s Critical Care and Perioperative Medicine Research Group at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London and is an Honorary Consultant Physician in Intensive Care Medicine and Renal Medicine at the Royal London Hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust, London, UK.
Dr Prowle graduated with distinction in medicine from the University of Cambridge in 1999 and undertook Doctoral Research under the supervision of Prof Rinaldo Bellomo in Melbourne, Australia leading to the award of his MD research doctorate in 2013.
Since 2009 he has co-authored over 100 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, including chapters related to Acute Kidney Injury in forthcoming editions of the Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology and the Oxford Textbook of Critical Care.
Dr Prowle’s academic interests include the Pathogenesis, Diagnosis and Treatment and Outcomes of Acute Kidney Injury, Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies in the ICU, Fluid Therapy and Medical Complications of Major Surgery.
For a full list of publications click here
- Chaudery H, MacDonald N, Ahmad T, Chandra S, Tantri A, Sivasakthi V, Mansor M, Matos R, Pearse RM, Prowle JR; International Surgical Outcomes Study (ISOS) Group. Acute Kidney Injury and Risk of Death After Elective Surgery: Prospective Analysis of Data From an International Cohort Study. Anesth Analg. 2018 Nov 9.
- Haines RW, Lin SP, Hewson R, Kirwan CJ, Torrance HD, O'Dwyer MJ, West A, Brohi K, Pearse RM, Zolfaghari P, Prowle JR. Acute Kidney Injury in Trauma Patients Admitted to Critical Care: Development and Validation of a Diagnostic Prediction Sci Rep. 2018 Feb 26;8(1):3665.
- Kellum JA, Prowle JR. Paradigms of acute kidney injury in the intensive care setting. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2018 Apr;14(4):217-230.
- Ravn B, Prowle JR, Mårtensson J, Martling CR, Bell M. Superiority of Serum Cystatin C Over Creatinine in Prediction of Long-Term Prognosis at Discharge From ICU. Crit Care Med. 2017 Sep;45(9):e932-e940.
- O'Connor ME, Hewson RW, Kirwan CJ, Ackland GL, Pearse RM, Prowle JR. Acute kidney injury and mortality 1 year after major non-cardiac surgery. Br J Surg. 2017 Jun;104(7):868-876.
- O'Connor ME, Kirwan CJ, Pearse RM, Prowle JR. Incidence and associations of acute kidney injury after major abdominal surgery. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Apr;42(4):521-530. doi: 10.1007/s00134-015-4157-7.
- Prowle JR, Kam EP, Ahmad T, Smith NC, Protopapa K, Pearse RM. Preoperative renal dysfunction and mortality after non-cardiac surgery. Br J Surg. 2016 Sep;103(10):1316-25
- Kirwan CJ, Blunden MJ, Dobbie H, James A, Nedungadi A, Prowle JR. Critically ill patients requiring acute renal replacement therapy are at an increased risk of long-term renal dysfunction, but rarely receive specialist nephrology follow-up. Nephron. 2015;129(3):164-70.
- Prowle JR, Kolic I, Purdell-Lewis J, Taylor R, Pearse RM, Kirwan CJ. Serum creatinine changes associated with critical illness and detection of persistent renal dysfunction after AKI. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Jun 6;9(6):1015-23.
- Prowle JR, Molan MP, Hornsey E, Bellomo R. Measurement of renal blood flow by phase-contrast magnetic resonance imaging during septic acute kidney injury: a pilot investigation. Crit Care Med. 2012 Jun;40(6):1768-76.