WHRI Work Experience Programme
The WHRI Work Experience Programme is for sixth form students who are interested in studying Medicine or a Biological/Biomedical related degree at university and are considering a career in a similar field. In 2020 we moved the work experience week online due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we will do the same for 2021.
This bi-annual programme was established by Prof Amrita Ahluwalia and has been organised and run by Dr Rayomand Khambata and Mr Ade Alele since 2017, benefitting approximately 200 young people to date. We aim to provide an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in laboratory and clinical research at one of the largest pharmacological research institutes in Europe. In addition, students will have the opportunity to learn about alternative careers within government health-related initiatives and fundraising for healthcare and research.
- Hands-on practical experience in a working research laboratory
- Talks from world-leading basic scientists and clinical researchers
- Shadowing of current PhD and Post-doctoral researchers
- Learn about the running of clinical trials and interact with clinical trial patients
- Demonstrations of clinical measurements of blood pressure, blood flow and ultrasound of the heart
- Tour of St Bartholomew's Hospital
- University admissions information
- Meet staff from the Barts Charity, and learn how, through their funding schemes, research and innovative healthcare initiatives which improve patient care are supported
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, some activities have been altered. Please see the programme details below.
I found the lab days extremely insightful and eye-opening and also very helpful in deciding between a medical or science degree.
Checking patient history gave me an insight into the life of a doctor.
For: Year 12-13 Sixth form or college students
Date(s): 25-28 October 2021
Location: This event will be held online
GCSE's: Double or Triple Science (BB or above) and Mathematics (B or above)
A-levels: All applicants must be studying a Science or Maths subject at A-level (or equivalent)
Please complete and return the following application and equal opportunities form to Ade Alele at email@example.com
Download: Application and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form_Oct 2021 [DOC 1,215KB]
The application deadline is Monday 27th September by 5.00pm and we shall be contacting all applicants with a decision on Monday 4th October.