Pint of Science
9-11 May 2022
Pint of Science is the largest science festival in the world, happening simultaneously in around 150 cities across 24 countries. At QMUL, the event is organised by volunteers – mainly PhD students and Post Docs. Our goal is to make science more accessible to the general public to avoid mistrust and misconceptions, all in the comforts of local pubs. This year we have more than 30 scientists to appear in city watering holes, so head down to your local pub to hear talks on mental wellness, gene editing, and how ‘off switches’ are being targeted as therapies.
Please see below a list of events that are taking place over May 9th-11th starting at 7 pm and follow the links to get your tickets – ONLY £5!
Come join us for one, two or three nights of science and fun!
Or please spread the word!
All our events are generously sponsored by the QMUL Doctoral College, PCRBiosystems, Genomics England and ISMRM.
‘Our Body’ events at The Drapers Lounge, 17 Godward Square, Bethnal Green, London, E1 4FZ
- Mon 9th May – Have I GUT Salty News For You (Dr. Madusha Peiris, Dr Simon McArthur, Katherine Jenner)
- Tue 10th May – Spilling your genes on rare disease (Pr. Sir Mark Caulfield, Dr. Diana Blaydon)
- Wed 11th May - Science today: transforming the future, unraveling the past (Dr. Belinda Nedjai, Pr. Marta Korbonits)
‘Atoms and Galaxies’ events at London Hospital Tavern, 176 Whitechapel Rd, London, E1 1BJ
- Mon 9th May – The Fundamental Bricks of Matter: Why Do They Matter? (Dr. Linda Cremonesi, Dr. Sanjaye Ramgoolam)
- Tue 10th May – Particles and the Environment: Friends or Foes? (Dr. Anthony Phillips, Dr. Abigail Whitehouse)
‘Tech me out’ events at The Griff Inn, BLSA Building, Stepney Way, Whitechapel, London, E1 2AE
- Mon 9th May – ART-ificial Intelligence (Corey Ford, Dr. Raluca Gaina)
- Tue 10th May – MRI: Atoms to images (Anina Seidemo, Dr. Adrian Tang)
- Wed 11th May - Engineering a Sustainable Future (Dr. Ana Jorge Sobrido, Dr. Petra Agota Szilagyi)
‘Planet earth’ events at Sekforde Arms, 34 Sekforde Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1R 0HA
- Mon 9th May – Wasted potential: Giant Bananas & Thermoelectric Generators (Dr. James Borrell, Dr. Oliver Fenwick)
- Tue 10th May – Climate change in the courtroom and on the runway (Pr. David Whyte, Dr. Man Zhang)
- Wed 11th May - Bugs in our evolution and evolution in our bugs (Dr. Yannick Wurm and Dr. Elisabeth Busch-Nentwich)
‘Our Society’ events at The Globe Lounge room, 83 Moorgate, London, EC2M 6SA
- Mon 9th May – Once upon a time ... a cinematic history of memory (Dr. Mark Glancy, Dr. Rosemary Harris)
- Tue 10th May – Evidence-based-business: are all coffees created equal? (Dr. Kenneth Fung, Dr. Elena Doldor, Pr. Rob Briner)
- Wed 11th May - Powerful plants: companions, storytellers and gatekeepers (Dr. Giulia Carabelli, Kimerbley Glassman)
‘Beautiful mind’ events at The Globe Dining room, 83 Moorgate, London, EC2M 6SA
- Mon 9th May – Brain teasers: the puzzles of stress and psychopaths (Dr. Livia A. Carvalho, Dr. Mark Freestone) – HIGH DEMAND
- Tue 10th May – Saving the brain: shrimp vomit and avoiding dementia (Dr. Sarah Morgan, Pr. David Baker)
- Wed 11th May - Open minds: from refugees to body language (Dr. Michael Pluess, Dr. Paraskevi Argyriou)