Dr Stavroula Kanoni
Lecturer in Nutrigenetics and Cardiovascular Health
Centre: Clinical Pharmacology
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8236
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1691-9615
I graduated from the University of Athens, Greece, with a B.Sc. in Science of Nutrition and Dietetics, followed by an M.Sc. in Clinical Dietetics. I pursued my research in the field of nutrigenetics, investigating interactions among genes, nutrition and lifestyle characteristics in an elderly Greek cohort and was awarded a PhD.
I joined the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in 2010 as a post-doctoral fellow, in the group of genetics of complex traits in humans (led by Professor Panos Deloukas), where I gained expertise on statistical genetics with a focus on cardiovascular genetics.
In September 2013, I joined the William Harvey Research Institute (WHRI) as a statistical geneticist in Professor Panos Deloukas’ team. I have been working in large-scale projects that investigate the genetic susceptibility for coronary heart disease and related cardiometabolic traits.
In February 2019 I was appointed a lecturer in Nutrigenetics and Cardiovascular Health, in the Centre of Clinical Pharmacology within WHRI.
My research interests include the genetic architecture of complex traits, the biological links between diet/lifestyle and cardiometabolic traits, as well as the interplay of genetic predisposition and nutritional parameters for cardiovascular health. I would like to focus my research on nutrigenetics, as a new model for improved diagnosis and treatment of complex diseases in the era of precision medicine.
I have contributed in many large-scale investigations on the genetic predisposition of cardiovascular health, through the CARDIoGRAMplusC4D and the UK Biobank Cardiometabolic Consortium. I have also contributed to large-scale gene-by-diet interaction projects, through the CHARGE nutrition group collaborative.
Investigating traditional cardioprotective nutrients, like vitamin E and vitamin A, as well as novel cardioprotective nutrients, like inorganic nitrate, in the context of gene-by-nutrient interactions could provide useful insights in the metabolic pathways implicated in cardiovascular health.
Also, assessing overall dietary habits, like dietary risk score, could provide evidence on beneficial dietary patterns and cardiovascular disease prevention.
For a full list of publications please click here
- Merino J, Dashti HS, Li SX, Sarnowski C, Justice AE, Graff M, …, Kanoni S, .., Paus T, Florez JC, Deloukas P, Lyytikainen LP, Chasman DI, Chu AY, Tanaka T. Genome-wide meta-analysis of macronutrient intake of 91,114 European ancestry participants from the cohorts for heart and aging research in genomic epidemiology consortium. Mol Psychiatry. 2018.
- Webb TR, Erdmann J, Stirrups KE, Stitziel NO, Masca NG, Jansen H, Kanoni S, …, Wareham NJ, Watkins H, Willer CJ, Samani NJ, Schunkert H, Deloukas P, Kathiresan S, Myocardial Infarction G, Investigators CAEC. Systematic Evaluation of Pleiotropy Identifies 6 Further Loci Associated With Coronary Artery Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69(7):823-36.
- Nelson* CP, Goel* A, Butterworth* AS, Kanoni* S, Webb TR, …, Schunkert H, Farrall M, Danesh J, Samani NJ, Watkins H, Deloukas P. Association analyses based on false discovery rate implicate new loci for coronary artery disease. Nat Genet. 2017;49(9):1385-91.*Equal contribution
- Mozaffarian D, Dashti HS, Wojczynski MK, Chu AY, Nettleton JA, …, Kanoni S, …, Cupples LA, Eriksson JG, Kritchevsky SB, Bandinelli S, Siscovick D, Franco OH, Deloukas P, Dedoussis G, Chasman DI, Raitakari O, Tanaka T. Genome-wide association meta-analysis of fish and EPA+DHA consumption in 17 US and European cohorts. PLoS One. 2017;12(12):e0186456.
- Myocardial Infarction G, Investigators CAEC, Stitziel NO, Stirrups KE, Masca NG, Erdmann J, Ferrario PG, Konig IR, Weeke PE, Webb TR, …, Kanoni S, …, Wareham NJ, Watkins H, Willer CJ, Kathiresan S, Deloukas P, Samani NJ, Schunkert H. Coding Variation in ANGPTL4, LPL, and SVEP1 and the Risk of Coronary Disease. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(12):1134-44.
- Nikpay* M, Goel* A, Won* HH, Hall* LM, Willenborg* C, Kanoni* S, …, O'Donnell CJ, Reilly MP, Assimes TL, Thompson JR, Erdmann J, Clarke R, Watkins H, Kathiresan S, McPherson R, Deloukas P, Schunkert H, Samani NJ, Farrall M. A comprehensive 1,000 Genomes-based genome-wide association meta-analysis of coronary artery disease. Nat Genet. 2015;47(10):1121-30. *Equal contribution
- Nettleton JA, Follis JL, Ngwa JS, Smith CE, …, Kanoni S, …, Cupples LA, Loos RJ, Franks PW. Gene x dietary pattern interactions in obesity: analysis of up to 68 317 adults of European ancestry. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24(16):4728-38.
- Fretts AM, Follis JL, Nettleton JA, Lemaitre RN, Ngwa JS, Wojczynski MK, …, Kanoni S, …, Meigs JB, Siscovick DS. Consumption of meat is associated with higher fasting glucose and insulin concentrations regardless of glucose and insulin genetic risk scores: a meta-analysis of 50,345 Caucasians. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;102(5):1266-78.
- Willer CJ, Schmidt EM, Sengupta S, Peloso GM, Gustafsson S, Kanoni S, …, Deloukas P, Kathiresan S, Mohlke KL, Ingelsson E, Abecasis GR, Global Lipids Genetics C. Discovery and refinement of loci associated with lipid levels. Nat Genet. 2013;45(11):1274-83.
- Tanaka T, Ngwa JS, van Rooij FJ, Zillikens MC, Wojczynski MK, Frazier-Wood AC, Houston DK, Kanoni S ,…, Ferrucci L, Dedoussis G, Cupples LA, Nettleton JA. Genome-wide meta-analysis of observational studies shows common genetic variants associated with macronutrient intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97(6):1395-402.
- Nettleton JA, Hivert MF, Lemaitre RN, McKeown NM, Mozaffarian D, Tanaka T, Wojczynski MK, Hruby A, Djousse L, Ngwa JS, Follis JL, Dimitriou M, Ganna A, Houston DK, Kanoni S, …, Meigs JB, Franks PW. Meta-analysis investigating associations between healthy diet and fasting glucose and insulin levels and modification by loci associated with glucose homeostasis in data from 15 cohorts. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;177(2):103-15.
- Hruby A, Ngwa JS, Renstrom F, Wojczynski MK, Ganna A, Hallmans G, Houston DK, Jacques PF, Kanoni S,…, Franks PW, Meigs JB, McKeown NM, Nettleton JA. Higher magnesium intake is associated with lower fasting glucose and insulin, with no evidence of interaction with select genetic loci, in a meta-analysis of 15 CHARGE Consortium Studies. J Nutr. 2013;143(3):345-53.
- Consortium CAD, Deloukas P, Kanoni S, Willenborg C, Farrall M, …, Watkins H, Schunkert H, Samani NJ. Large-scale association analysis identifies new risk loci for coronary artery disease. Nat Genet. 2013;45(1):25-33.
- Kanoni S, Nettleton JA, Hivert MF, Ye Z, van Rooij FJ, Shungin D, Sonestedt E, Ngwa JS, Wojczynski MK, …, Siscovick DS, Meigs JB, Franks PW, Dedoussis GV. Total zinc intake may modify the glucose-raising effect of a zinc transporter (SLC30A8) variant: a 14-cohort meta-analysis. Diabetes. 2011;60(9):2407-16.
- Nettleton JA, McKeown NM, Kanoni S, …, Ordovas JM, Ingelsson E, Cupples L, Siscovick DS, Franks PW, Meigs JB. Interactions of dietary whole-grain intake with fasting glucose- and insulin-related genetic loci in individuals of European descent: a meta-analysis of 14 cohort studies. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(12):2684-91.
- Kanoni S, Dedoussis GV, Herbein G, Fulop T, Varin A, Jajte J, Rink L, Monti D, Mariani E, Malavolta M, Giacconi R, Marcellini F, Mocchegiani E. Assessment of gene-nutrient interactions on inflammatory status of the elderly with the use of a zinc diet score--ZINCAGE study. J Nutr Biochem. 2010;21(6):526-31.