The MSc in Mathematical Finance is a specialist master’s degree designed to equip talented individuals with the skills necessary for a successful career in banking and the financial markets.
Specifically, the programme provides in-depth training for professional roles such as quantitative analysis, trading, financial engineering and structuring, risk management, and software development. Business sectors include investment and commercial banking, fund management, the insurance business, and hedge funds.
The programme is taught jointly by the School of Mathematical Sciences and the School of Economics and Finance, leveraging on the expertise of both departments. It features a wide range of compulsory and elective modules, as well as the opportunity to undertake a significant project in an area of interest.
The programme is offered full-time over one year or part-time over two years, and is assessed by a combination of coursework, examinations and a project dissertation.
Why study with us?
- All the modules on the MSc programme are designed and taught by experts in the field, many of whom have held key positions in financial institutions; they will give you the insights on how to develop a successful career in finance.
- You will be able to develop and refine many of the skills that are actually used inside investment banks, by undertaking a significant, applied project over the summer under the personal supervision of an experienced member of staff.
- You will study in recently refurbished MSc student offices, with state-of-the-art computers and software. We also offer access to Bloomberg terminals.
- You'll be automatically considered for an Academic Excellence Scholarship, worth £5000 (apply by 15th June)
- We have new postgraduate student accommodation available from September 2018
Maximising your employability
- The programme has close connections to industry. Our popular practitioner seminars enable students to learn from market professionals about the latest developments.
- We offer a range of extra curricula programming seminars in Microsoft Excel, VBA and other development environments, which focus on applications in mathematical finance.
Our links with industry
The Bank of England regularly visits QMUL as part of our MSc Industry talks
Citi sponsor Maths careers events on campus
We offer all students the opportunity to take the prestigious Microsoft Office Specialist qualification
Pallavi Mohanty (MSc Mathematical Finance graduate, 2016)
Now working at Société Générale
“My QMUL experience has made a massive difference to my employability. I’ve added core skills like C++, VBA and a certification in Excel to my CV so people can see how much I’ve developed since my undergraduate degree”