Skip to main content
School of Law

FAQs for Online Learning Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law

Distance Learning Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law programmes:

If you cannot find an answer to your query below, please contact KNect365 by email: or Tel: +44 (0)20 7017 5906

Frequently Asked Questions

Application process

Distance Learning teaching and learning

Q: What are the entry requirements?

Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law

Admission is based solely on academic merit. The usual qualification for entry to the programme is a degree in law, or a degree with a substantial law content, normally of at least upper-second class honours (or equivalent).

Non-law graduates with good honours, who have also obtained the equivalent of good honours in CPE and Bar Finals/Legal Practice examinations, or passed the solicitors’ qualifying examination, may qualify. Law graduates with high 2.2 honours and at least five years professional legal experience may also qualify. Non-law graduates may be considered on the basis of exceptional professional experience that directly relates to the programme taught modules.

Please note that neither Admissions or the Programme Administration team are able to advise on whether a applicant meets entry by email or phone. The Admissions Team will require sight of a full online application in order to make a qualified and considered decision.

For applicants with International Qualifications visit If your country is not represented, please contact the admissions office on for further advice

Q: What are the application procedures?

All applications for the Pre-sessional Legal Systems, Research Skills and Writing for IT Law and Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law and (DL) programme should be made through KNect365 Learning

Please contact KNect365 Learning for application process:

Q: Does Queen Mary provide scholarships or bursaries for Distance Learning?

No, not for the distance learning programmes.

Q: I wish to check on the progress of my application. Who do I contact?

Phone: +44 (0)20 7017 4237

Q: I am still waiting to get my reference letter. Can I submit my reference after my application form? Where do I send it?

Yes you can submit your reference letter after your online application. Please email:

Q: What do you require in the reference - what must be included?

References should be signed and sealed in an envelope with the referee's signature across the back. Please ensure that the reference is typed on headed paper, states your full name and date of birth and includes the title of your chosen Distance Learning Programme to ensure that it can be matched to your application.

Academic reference (preferred)

  1. Verification of the fact that the academic referee has known you, the student, for a certain length of time. They must also give your full name and not an abbreviated or nickname. Also indicate the name of the course for which you are applying.
  2. Confirmation that you have attended a specific course.
  3. Class or mark of your degree or expected class of degree. (If expected please ensure it is made clear that this is an opinion and not a fact).
  4. Comment on your skills and abilities.
  5. If you have extensive legal experience, a professional reference can be submitted.

This could include:

  1. Verification of how long you were employed.
  2. Confirmation that you were working in a legal capacity and some detail of the type of work involved.
  3. Comment on your skills and abilities.

Q: What documents do I need to supply when applying?

You will need to complete an online application form through KNect365 Learning and provide a good quality, colour scanned copies of qualifications (transcripts of your Law degree or any other relevant qualification) and proof of identification and one reference (preferably academic, if this is difficult, due to the passage of time for instance since your first degree, you can provide professional references if they are law related).

Q. What do I have to do if my degree transcript is not in English?

You must have any degree transcript that is not in English translated before submission. Translations must come from one of the following:

  • Officially certified translator
  • Solicitor
  • British council/Embassy
  • Registry of the university within which you studied the course (for example, if translating transcripts) Translations must be officially signed and stamped accordingly. We require a copy of the foreign transcript document and the English translated copy.

Q: What if I have not finished my first degree or obtained a language test result?

You should still apply and provide a transcript of degree marks achieved so far. You will then be made a conditional offer showing our requirements from your country/university.

Q: What are the English language requirements for the programme?

All students from countries where English is not the first language must supply a TOEFL or IELTS language test or equivalent result. If you took your degree overseas and were taught in the English medium but your country’s main language is not English, you still have to provide a language score. The standard of English language used varies from region to region and indeed from university to university. It is therefore vital that all such students provide English language scores. 

If you have not yet taken an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent test at the application stage, you should still apply. If your IELTS/TOEFL results are not yet available, you could be made a conditional offer, subject to our normal academic requirements.

Students who submit a language score that does not meet the full language entry requirements of 7 overall 7 writing IELTS (or equivalent) should re-take as soon as possible. 

Please scan your results and email them to There is no need to ask the test provider to send the scores directly to us, as the Admissions office can verify all scores directly with TOEFL/IELTS once they receive your emailed version. Email what you have to Admissions and they will contact you direct if they require anything further from you.

Q: Do I need to include a personal statement or CV?

These are not essential, but can be useful particularly in unusual applications or where there is professional legal experience.

Q: What if I do not meet the conditions contained in my offer?

If you do not meet the academic conditions, you should still provide a transcript showing your final marks.  We will still consider this and in borderline cases, take into case other relevant qualifications and relevant work experience. If you do not meet the full language condition, you should submit your obtained score as soon as possible, to see if any pre-sessional English language courses will help you.

Q: Do I need to indicate the options I wish to take on the application form as requested?

No, this portion of the application form can be ignored - you simply need to indicate which Distance Learning programme you are applying for under the ‘Course Title’ section. No further information on your courses is needed at the application stage.

Q: Where do I submit my application, language scores and other required documents?

All applications and supporting documents for Distance Learning Computer and Communication Law courses are handled by KNect365 Learning on our behalf and documents should be sent direct to them.

The Application Process

All applicants are automatically emailed once an online application has been submitted.

Q: Can I practise in England and Wales with a LLM or a Diploma?

No, but the School of Law offers a two-year LLB known as 'Senior Status'. The Senior Status LLB programme allows the student to obtain a ‘qualifying law degree’ in two years. Thereafter, it is necessary to complete the vocational stage of qualification - the Bar Professional Training Course (to become a barrister) or the Legal Practice Course (to become a solicitor). A period of practical training is then required.

For information, see Bar Standards Board and Solicitors Regulation Authority.

If you hold a recognised legal professional qualification from another jurisdiction you may be eligible to take the QLTT.

Q: Where will my teaching/chat sessions/take home exams be held?

All teaching for the Distance Learning Programmes are carried out at home, students will be provided with some comprehensive books and access to QMplus online virtual learning environment.

Q: Do I have to visit London at anytime during the programme?

Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law

In June we hold optional Residential Weekend, for students to present a research paper and obtain 15 credits towards their degree programme.

Q: How many hours of teaching will I have each week?

This depends on which modules you take, but as a general guide you should expect about 10-15 hours a week per module.

Q: What will the Distance Learning teaching timetable be like?

Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law

Modules are assessed by 10% tasks, 35% essays and 55% final exercise (open book).

All teaching is via a Virtual Learning Environment (currently QMplus). Students will be able to take all assessment in their own home.

Q: How and when do I choose the topic of my dissertation?

Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law

We recommend that students opt for the dissertation options after completing a minimum of six taught modules have been completed for the Diploma or LLM only.

Q: Which libraries will I use?

Students will be supplied with materials (laws, rules, conventions, reading lists and some full-text articles and cases) provided on the QMplus (VLE), and are given access to web materials (including access to WESTLAW, LEXIS and KluwerArbitration) via the Queen Mary library website. In all cases, we make sure that students have access to all the materials necessary for the course.

Q: The thought of writing a dissertation is daunting! What help is available?

Students will have the constant support of a personal tutor, who will discuss with students issues such as research, structure and content of the dissertation.

Q: Will I have a personal tutor?

Your personal tutor is usually the relevant programme director or one of the module convenors.

Q: What happens if I fail the examinations?

It is quite normal for students to have anxieties about failing assessment. Our experience, however, is that relative few students fail a course. Distance Learning students are highly motivated individuals and we only admit people who we believe can successfully complete the programme. If, however, you do fail to meet the required standards, this is the advice we give: Technology, Media and Telecommunications Law students may fail up to at least 30 credits during the duration of the programme and may select an alternative module to obtain the required credits for the relevant programme (Diploma 120 Credits; LLM 180 credits).

Q: When will I get my official University of London degree certificate?

Your Postgraduate Degree Certificate is sent out centrally from Senate House at the University of London - not Queen Mary - six months after the award date. The certificate will not state ‘Distance Learning’ it will state only the programme and degree awarded. Whilst waiting to receive your certificate, if you require confirmation of your award, the Registry Office at Queen Mary can issue its own certificate of confirmation.

Academic Registry, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS

Tel: +44 (0)20-7882 5005

Back to top