Yulia is a Postdoctoral Researcher working on the AHRC-funded project ‘Rethinking Child Law and Policy’. She has completed her DPhil (PhD) in Law degree from University of Oxford. Her doctoral thesis focused on the rights of asylum seeking children and the role of international organisations in treaty interpretation in this field. At University of Oxford, Yulia taught public international law, international and European human rights law.
Yulia has completed LL.M degree with concentration in international human rights law from Harvard Law School, where she worked at the Immigration and Refugee Law Clinic and served as an Article Editor for the Harvard International Law Journal. Yulia also holds LLB (Hons) and LLM (Hons) degrees from Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University Institute of International Relations, Ukraine.
Previously, Yulia clerked for H.E. Judge James R. Crawford at the International Court of Justice and worked at the UNHCR Representation in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the UNHCR Regional Representation for Belarus, Moldova, and Ukraine, the Ukrainian Red Cross Society, and a New York litigation firm.
- Cathryn Costello & Yulia Ioffe, ‘Non-Penalization for Illegal Entry and Stay of Refugees and Other Migrants’ in Jane McAdam, Michelle Foster, and Cathryn Costello (eds), Oxford Handbook of International Refugee Law (OUP, forthcoming 2021)
- Yulia Ioffe, 'Georgia v Russia (I). Just Satisfaction Judgment of the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights' (2019) 113(3) American Journal of International Law 581
- Yulia Ioffe, ‘The Amendments to the Russian Constitution: Putin’s Attempt to Reinforce Russia’s Isolationist Views on International Law?’ (2020) EJIL: Talk!
- Yulia Ioffe & Hedi Viterbo, ‘Homophobia Disguised as Children’s Rights in Russia’s Constitutional Referendum‘ (2020) Verfassungsblog
- Yulia Ioffe, 'Termination of the Treaty of Friendship between Ukraine and Russia - Too Little Too Late?‘ (2019) Opinio Juris
- Yulia Ioffe & Olha Bozhenko, 'The US’s New Nuclear Posture Review: Blurring the Lines of Anticipatory Self-Defense' (2018) Opinio Juris
- Cathryn Costello, Yulia Ioffe & Teresa Büchsel, 'Article 31 of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees' (2017) UNHCR Legal and Protection Policy Research Series
- Yulia Ioffe, 'Seeking Asylum in Ukraine: Unaccompanied Children Forced to ‘Age’ Faster' (2017) Oxford Border Criminologies
- Yulia Ioffe & Mykola Gnatovskyy, 'Twenty Years of the ECHR in Ukraine' (2017) EJIL: Talk!
- Yulia Ioffe, 'Book Review: Terrorism and Exclusion from Refugee Status in the UK' (2016) Oxford Border Criminologies [Review]
- Barbara Havelkova & Yulia Ioffe, 'Grand Chamber of the ECtHR to Review Limitations on Choice of Birthplace for Women' (2015) OxHRH Blog