Dr Noam Shemtov
Reader in IP and Technology Law
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8063Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Dr Noam Shemtov joined CCLS in September 2009 as a lecturer in Intellectual Property and technology Law. He is currently a Reader in IP and Technology Law and Deputy Head of CCLS. He lectures in areas of intellectual property, creative industries and technology and his research interests are also focused in these fields.
Noam has led research projects and studies funded by UK Research Councils and by industry, national, supranational and commercial organizations, such as CreativeWorks London, CISAC, Microsoft, WIPO, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). He is currently leading a project for DFID/FCO on the Establishment and Operation of a Specialised IP Court in Ukraine.
Noam also holds visiting appointments by Spanish and Dutch universities, where he lectures regularly in areas pertaining to intellectual property, creative industries and technology. He is a qualified solicitor both in the UK and in Israel.
- QLLM095 Intellectual Property and the Creative Industries
- QLLM017 Computer Law
- Beyond the Code: Protection of Non-Textual Features of Software, Oxford University Press (September 2017), ISBN: 9780198716792
- Free and Open Source Software: Law, Policy and Practice, Oxford University Press 2014 (ISBN: 0199680493); Co-editor and author
- European Patent Decisions, Sweet & Maxwell (ISBN: 9780952000723); Co-Author.
- Software Patents and Open Source Models in Europe: Does the FOSS community need to worry about current attitudes at the EPO?.IFOSS L. Rev 2, (2) (2011)
- Mission Impossible? Search Engines ongoing search for a viable global keyword policy, Journal of Internet Law, (Aspen Publishers) September 2009.
- The characteristics of technical character and the ongoing saga at the EPO and the English Courts, Journal for Intellectual Property Law and Practice (OUP, July 2009)
- Searching for the Right Balance: Google, keywords advertising and trademark use, European Intellectual Property Review 30.11 (2008)
- Getting into shape, TrademarkWorld (May 2008) (Co-authored 50% with Gadi Oron, IFPI),
- Revisiting Arsenal in the Light of Opel and Picasso, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, OUP, 2007 2(8)
- Circumventing The Idea Expression Dichotomy: The Use Of Copyright, Technology And Contract To Deny Public Access to Ideas, Emerging Issues In Modern Intellectual Property Trade, Technology And Market Freedom, PIPS Nov. 2007.
- The BeatWoven Project, in Cultural Policy, Innovation and the Creative Economy, Palgrave Macmillan 2016, (ISBN 978-1-349-95112-3)
- Circumventing The Idea Expression Dichotomy: The Use Of Copyright, Technology And Contract To Deny Public Access to Ideas, in EMERGING ISSUES IN MODERN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: TRADE, TECHNOLOGY, MARKET FREEDOM ESSAYS, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2007, (ISBN 1 84542 775 0)
- The Protection of Graphical User Interfaces in Europe, in Research Handbook on IP and Digital Technologies (ed. Prof. T. Aplin), Edward Elgar publishing (forthcoming 2018).
- Member of the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI)
- Member of the Institute of Computer and Communications Law (ICCL)
- Dr Noam Shemtov to speak at Trademarks, Designs and more – AIPPI at the EUIPO
13 April 2018
- Dr Noam Shemtov to at China’s 15th South Lake Forum on Intellectual Property
13 April 2018
- CCLS awarded DFID/FCO Project to advise the Government of Ukraine on the Establishment and Operation of a specialised IP Court
9 March 2018
- Dr Noam Shemtov to speak at the 10th Annual Standards, Patents and Competition: Law and Litigation Conference
1 December 2016
- Dr Noam Shemtov is commissioned by the WIPO to carry out a study on intellectual property rights in the mobile app industry
10 August 2016
- Dr Noam Shemtov to speak at the annual Managing Intellectual Property Forum
1 August 2016
- CCLS hosts Greek Alumni Reunion in Athens
26 April 2016
- Dr Noam Shemtov takes part in Science Summit: Strategy for Excellence conference
10 December 2015
- Dr Noam Shemtov to speak at 'Fashioning the Law' conference, Greece
5 May 2015
- Dr Noam Shemtov to co-chair Fashion and IP Seminar held by Wragge Lawrence Graham and Co
24 February 2015
- Noam Shemtov invited to speak at Thai Embassy on Intellectual Property education
10 May 2012