Professor Guido Westkamp, Dr jur. (Münster), LLM Intellectual Property (London), First and Second German State Examination (Münster/Düsseldorf)
Professor of Intellectual Property and Comparative Law
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8096
Guido Westkamp is Professor of Intellectual Property and Comparative Law and course director for the University of London LLM courses "Intellectual Property in the Digital Millennium", 'Intellectual Property Transactions' and 'Intellectual Property in the Creative Industries'. He is also the academic director for the MSc in Intellectual Property Management and course director for the MSc Copyright and Designs course. He further coordinates the European Intellectual Property Institutions Network (EIPIN) at CCLS.
Guido Westkamp studied Law at the Universities of Münster/Germany (1992-1997) and London (QM) (1994-95), and English and Russian Languages in Berlin (1991-1992) and Münster (1992-94). He is a qualified German attorney and previously worked for international firms in IT/IP law. First German State Examination Hamm 1997; Second German State Examination Düsseldorf 2000; LLM Intellectual Property (London) 2001; Dr. jur. (Münster) 2002 (scl); Certificate in English Law (Münster) 1997; Intermediate Examination, English Philology (Münster) 1993.
Visiting positions include posts at the Universities of Münster (Germany), Alicante (Spain), Hong Kong, TU Dresden (Germany), Wroclaw (Poland) and Skopje (Macedonia). His work includes pre-accession consultancy on Intellectual Property law in new EU member states, management of EU funded projects and professional training in Intellectual Property. He was also involved in the evaluation of the Directive on Copyright in the information society (EC Commission) and is a frequent speaker at international conferences and workshops.
Guido held a generous grant from the Westfield Trust to conduct a research project on the implications of human rights on copyright law (2008-2010).
- QLLM042 Intellectual Property in the Digital Millennium
- QLLM066 Intellectual Property Transactions
- QLLM095 Intellectual Property in the Creative Industries
Copyright and Author's Right Systems and their Harmonisation; IP in Digital Technology; Boundaries and Overlaps of Information Protection; Database and Software Protection; Technological Measures; IP Licensing; Conflict of Laws in IP; European Competition Law and IP; Emerging Human Rights Issues in Copyright and Related Rights; Comparative Media Law (Press and Broadcasting Law, Personality Rights); Trade Mark and Unfair Competition Law; Design Law.
- Privacy & Publicity, Nomos: Baden-Baden 2011, 305 pp.
- Der Schutz von Datenbanken und Informationssammlungen im britischen und deutschen Recht, Verlag C.H. Beck: München 2003, 538 pp.
- Series Editor, European Intellectual Property Networks Series, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar [with Josef Drexl/Christophe Geiger/Manual Desantes Real/Anselm Kamperman Sanders].
- Nari Lee/Guido Westkamp/Annette Kur/Ansgar Ohly (eds.), Intellectual Property, Unfair Competition and Publicity – Convergences and Development, European Intellectual Property Networks Series Volume I, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2013.
- Guido Westkamp/Horst-Peter Götting (eds.), Immaterialgüterrecht. Das Verhältnis von Geistigem Eigentum und Menschenrechten, Hannover: Verlag Ibidem 2008.
- Emerging Issues in Intellectual Property: Trade, Technology and Market Freedom, Essays in Memory of Herchel Smith, Queen Mary Studies in Intellectual Property Vol. XII, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham 2007.
Journal Articles, Book Chapters, Commissioned Studies
- In it for the Money? Academic Publishing, Open Access and the Authors’ Claim to Self-Determination in Private International Law (2022) SSRN Electronic Library
- Licensability as Property?, in: Gustavo Ghidini & Valeria Falce (eds.), The Future of IP—Reform Proposals (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing 2022), 262-291.
- Two Constitutional Cultures, Technological Enforcement and User Creativity: The Impending Collapse of the EU Copyright Regime?53 (2022) International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC) 62-93.
- Data(base) Rights? – Misappropriation, Property, and Tales of Trials and Tribulations, in: Sharon K. Sandeen, Christoph Rademacher & Ansgar Ohly, Research Handbook on Information Law and Governance, Edward Elgar 2020, pp. 77-120.
- Referenz und Transformation im britischen Copyright Law 92 (2019) 2 Archiv für Medienrecht und Medienwissenschaften (UFITA) 42-61.
- Persönlichkeitsschutz in Großbritannien (England und Wales), § 75, in: HP Götting/C Schertz/W Seitz, Handbuch des Persönlichkeitsrechts, 2. Aufl., München. 2019, pp. 1254-1289.
- One or Several Super Rights? The (Subtle) Impact of the Digital Single Market on a Future EU Copyright Architecture, in: Kung-Chung Liu & Reto M. Hilty (eds), Remuneration of Copyright Owners: Regulatory Challenges of New Business Models (Springer: Berlin 2017), pp. 21-49.
- Rights Clearance for Online Music, Lexis Nexis: Vienna 2017 (with A Wiebe, G Spindler et al.)
- Exhaustion and the Internet as a Distribution Channel: the Relationship Between Intellectual Property and European Law in Search of Clarification, in: I. Calboli/H. Lee: Research Handbook on Intellectual Property Exhaustion and Parallel Imports, Cheltenham 2016, 498-517.
- Voluntary Collaboration Practices in addressing online infringements of trade mark rights, design rights, copyright and rights related to copyright. Report to the European Union Intellectual Property Office, Alicante 2016 (with Thomas Hoeren und Deloitte Madrid).
- Assessment of the impact of the European Copyright Framework on Digitally-Supported Education and Training Practices, European Commission, Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture, Final Report, Brussels 2016 (Country Reports Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland).
- Copyright and Licensing Aspects of Film Literacy Education in the EU, in: Showing Films in Schools, Final Report, European Commission Directorate General Information Society and Media, Brussels 2015, ISBN: 978-92-79-45295-6.
- Intellectual Property and Human Rights: Reputation, Integrity and the Advent of Corporate Personality Rights, in: C. Geiger (ed.), Research Handbook on Intellectual Property and Human Rights, Cheltenham 2015, pp. 389-408.
- Copyright Reform and Necessary Flexibilities (Editorial) (2014) 45 International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC) 497-500.
- Sui Generis Rights, Unfair Competition and Extended Causes of Action, in: N. Lee/G.Westkamp/A. Kur/A. Ohly, Intellectual Property, Unfair Competition and Publicity – Convergences and Development, European Intellectual Property Networks Series Vol. I. , Cheltenham 2013, pp. 61-96.
- Introduction: in: Lee/Westkamp/Kur/Ohly, Intellectual Property, Unfair Competition and Publicity – Convergences and Development, European Intellectual Property Networks Series Vol. I, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2013, pp. 1-8.
- The New German Publishers Right – A Violation of European Law? (2013) Queen Mary Intellectual Property Journal 241-250.
- Private Life and the Margin of Appreciation 51 (2012) 3 International Legal Materials 423-427.
- Öffentliche versus private Kommunikation im europäischen Urheberrecht (2012) Europäische Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftsrecht 689-702.
- The Donner Case and the “Target Country” Principle (2012) Kluwer Copyright Blog
- Emerging Escape Clauses? Online Exhaustion, Consent and European Copyright Law, in: Jan Rosén (ed.), Intellectual Property at the Crossroads of Trade, ATRIP Yearbook 2011, Cheltenham 2012, 38-66.
- Code, Copyright, Competition: The Subversive Force of Para-Copyright and the Need for an Unfair Competition based Re-Assessment of DRM Laws after Infopaq 58  1 Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA 1-69.
- Criminalising IP in the UK: From Trade Mark Use to Illicit Downloads, in: C. Geiger (ed.), Criminal Enforcement of Intellectual Property: A Blessing or a Curse?, Cheltenham 2012, 310-340.
- Personality Trade Marks and their Limits  2 Oxford Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 31-36.
- Originality and Databases (2011) Kluwer Copyright Blog
- [Review Article] G. Davies/K. Garnett, Moral Rights (2011) Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property 306-307.
- Persona in Copyright: The Treatment of the Public Interest in Cases Concerning "Reflexive" Copyright Protection for Aspects of one's Personality in UK Law, in: Justyna Balcarczyk (ed.), Rights of Personality in the XXIst Century: New Values, New Rules, New Technologies, Wolters Kluwer Polska 2012.
- A Good Introduction to German IP and Arbitration Law [Review Article, Klett/Sonntag, IP Law in Germany]  Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice.
- „Property“ und „Celebrity Rights“: Zum Schutz von Lizenzen an Persönlichkeitsaspekten im englischen Recht, in: H.‐P. Götting/C. Schlüter (Hrsg.), Nourissance de l’Ésprit: Festschrift für Dieter Stauder, Nomos: Baden‐Baden 2010, 307-328.
- [Review Article] M Walter & S von Lewinski, European Copyright Law,  6 J. Int. Pro. L. & Pr. 263-264.
- The Digital Economy Act 2010 and Copyright Liability: Initial Observations on the Dangers of Self-Regulation  Computer Law Review International (CRI) 170-178.
- Code Protection, End Users and Fair Use: Mutations of the Copyright Nexus Debate  10 Computer Law Review International (CRI) 104-109.
- The Legal Protection of Commercial Aspects of Privacy: Confidentiality and Passing Off”, in: P. Machnikowski (ed.), prace z prawa, Articles on Civil Law – a Tribute to Professor Jan Kosik, Wroclaw 2009.
- Direct Appropriation, Unfair Competition and Quasi-Proprietary Rights: the Decline of Freedom of Speech in Web 2.0  2 EIPR 73-80.
- The Three-Step Test and Copyright Limitations in Europe: European Copyright Law between Approximation and National Decision Making 55  2 Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA 401-465.
- Declaration on a Balanced Interpretation of The "Three-Step Test" In Copyright Law (with Geiger, Hilty, Griffiths, Suthersanen et al.)  IIC 707-713.
- Der Schutz der Persönlichkeit im britischen Recht (§ 64), in: H.-P. Götting/C Schertz/W Seitz (Hrsg), Handbuch des Persönlichkeitsrechts, München 2008.
- A Story of Copyright in Adaptations  3 Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 156-159.
- The Limits of Open Source: Lawful User Rights, Exhaustion and Co-Existence with Copyright Law  1 Intellectual Property Quarterly 14-58.
- Intellectual Property, Misappropriation and Unfair Competition: Europe’s Quest for Database Protection (Symposium) 57  3 Case Western Reserve Journal 1.
- Review Article: “M Glader, Innovation Markets and Competition Analysis” 1  Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 849-850.
- Changing Mechanisms in Copyright’s Ontology – Structure, Reasoning and the Fate of the Public Domain”, in: G. Westkamp (ed.), Emerging Issues in Modern Intellectual Property: Trade, Technology, MarketFreedom, Essays in Memory of Herchel Smith, Queen Mary Studies in Intellectual Property Vol. XII, Edward Elgar, 2007, pp. 78-103.
- L Guibault, G Westkamp, PB Hugenholtz, T Rieber-Mohn et al: Study on the implementation and effect in Member States’ laws of Directive 2001/29/EC on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society, Part I: Study on the Impact of Directive 2001/29/EC on Online Business Models, Report to the European Commission, Directorate General Internal Market, February 2007 (Study Contract No. ETD/2005/IM/D1/91/1), Brussels: European Commission 2007, 213 pp.
- G Westkamp, Study on the implementation and effect in Member States’ laws of Directive 2001/29/EC on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society, Part II: Implementation of Directive 2001/29/EC in the Member States, 482 pp., Report to the European Commission, Directorate General Internal Market, February 2007 (Study Contract No. ETD/2005/IM/D1/91/2, Brussels: European Commission 2007.
- Information Access, Lex Digitalis and Fundamental Rights in Modern Copyright Law, in: F. Macmillan (ed.), New Directions in Copyright, Volume IV, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2007, pp. 224-251, ISBN 1 84542 263 5.
- Personality Rights: Post Mortem Protection and Domain Name Use  Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice (JIPLP) 720-725.
- Characterization and Incidental Question in German Private International Law: The Problem of 'Limping Marriages'” (Qualifikation und Vorfrage im Internationalen Privatrecht am Beispiel hinkender Ehen), 28 pp., (2007) SSRN Electronic Library.
- Intellectual Property, Competition Rules and the Emerging Internal Market: Some Thoughts on the European Exhaustion Doctrine  1 Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review 292-334.
- Hyperlinks, Circumvention Technology and Contributory Infringement – A Precarious Tale from German Jurisprudence  4 J. Intellectual Property Law & Policy (JIPLP).
- The Recognition and Status of Traditional Knowledge in the Conflict of Laws 88 (2006) Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society USA 699-725.
- [Review Article]: Tanya Aplin, Copyright Law in the Digital Society  4 J. Intellectual Property Law & Practice.
- Durchsetzbarkeit von Immaterialgüterrechten in Bulgarien (2006) Wirtschaft und Recht in Osteuropa (WiRO) (with M Blakeney and J Gibson), 271-276.
- Copyright, Author's Rights and Internet Regulation - the End of the Public Domain or Constitutional Re-Conceptualization?, in: M. P. Pugatch (Ed.), The Intellectual Property Debate: Perspectives from Law, Economics and Political Economy, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006, 268-292.
- Protection of Traditional Cultural Expressions in Private International Law: A Preliminary Appraisal, in: F.Macmillan & K Bowrey (eds.), New Directions in Copyright, Volume III, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2006, 172-198.
- Research Agreements and Joint Ownership of Intellectual Property Rights in Private International Law 6  37 International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC) 637-661,
- Digital Rights Management, Internet Governance and the Autopoiesis of Modern Copyright Law [2005-2006] 4 Contemporary Issues in Law 318-338.
- Intellectual Property Rights Issues of Digital Publishing - Presence and Perspectives (2005) 2:2 SCRIPT-ed, 144-244 (Contributor).
- International and Comparative Law of Copyright and Related Rights, University of London External LLM Study Guide, London 2005, 350 pp.
- Protection of Biological Material in Copyright: From Bioinformatics back to Biotechnology Copyright?  19 IPR-Helpdesk Bull, 2-7.
- Overlapping Intellectual Property Protection and the Proportionality Principle in International Trade Regulation, in: F. W. Grosheide/J.J. Brinkhof (eds.), Articles on Crossing Borders, Molengrafica Series, Antwerpen 2005.
- Database Protection under an Intellectual Property Model: Has the Time Come for a Flexible Assessment?, in: H. Hansen (ed.) 8 Fordham International Intellectual Property Law & Policy, Ch. 37, Juris Pub., New York 2005.
- Transient Copying and Public Communications - The Creeping Evolution of Use and Access Rights in European Copyright Law  36(5) George Washington International Law Review (GWILR) ISSN 1058-1108.
- Intellectual Property and Access to Genetic Material - Copyright as an Alternative Form of Protection?  4 Journal of International Biotechnology Law (JIBL) 115-120.
- Convergence of Intellectual Property Rights and the Establishment of "Hybrid" Protection under TRIPs, in F. Macmillan (Ed.), New Directions in Copyright, Volume 1, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2004, ISBN: 1 84542 2600.
- Common Law Misappropriation Concepts Surpass Material Reciprocity: The Investments in Collections of Information Bill 2003,  1 Computer Law Review International (CRI) 1-6, ISSN 1610-7608.
- Patent Protection for Computer Software in the United States  IPR Helpdesk.
- Protecting Databases under US and European Law: Methodical Approaches to the Protection of Investments between Unfair Competition and Intellectual Property Concepts,  34 International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (IIC) 772-803.
- TRIPs Principles, Reciprocity and the Creation of Sui-Generis-Type Intellectual Property Rights for New Forms of Technology,  6 The Journal of World Intellectual Property 827-859.
- Towards Access Rights in UK Copyright Law: Some Remarks on the Proposed Implementation of the EU Copyright Directive  1 Computer Law Review International 11-17.
- Balancing Database Sui Generis Right with European Monopoly Control under Article 82 (1) EC  European Competition Law Review 13-24.
Professor Guido Westkamp will, from 2013, participate as an expert on European copyright law in a project concerning the “Assessment of the impact of the European copyright framework on digitally-supported education and training practices”, funded by the European Commission, DG Media and Culture.
Professor Guido Westkamp is further part of a multi-institutional project -“Enhancing Intellectual Property Capacities for Agricultural Development - IP4Growth”, co-financed by the European Commission through the ACP Edulink programme. The program aims to provide assistance to beneficiary universities in Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Senegal in order to contribute to the agricultural and socio-economic development in West African countries and to strengthen their competences in Intellectual Property (IP) management.
In 2013-2014, Prof Westkamp further took part in a multi-disciplinary research project on film literacy, commissioned by the European Commission (DG Media and Culture), where he was in charge of issues concerning the use of films for educational purposes under European copyright laws. He further participated in a research project addressing questions of collective licensing of music for digital uses, commissioned by the Austrian Internet Service Providers Association.
He further sits on the advisory board for the European Commission’s General Directorate for Research and Innovation stakeholder forum as part of the study “Innovation Union Commitment 21 on Knowledge Transfer”.
Professor Westkamp is a member of the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute.
- Professor Guido Westkamp collaborates on EUIPO Study on Voluntary Collaborative Practices
7 October 2016
- Professor Guido Westkamp speaks at Sixth conference on European and Asian Intellectual Property, Taiwan
19 June 2015
- Professor Guido Westkamp contributes to European Commission Film Literacy Study
2 June 2015
- Professors Guido Westkamp, Uma Suthersanen and Graham Dutfield present at CIRES, Ivory Coast
5 March 2015
- Professor Guido Westkamp speaks on 'Films in Schools and the Limits of EU Copyright Approximation' at George Washington University
10 December 2014
- Professors Uma Suthersanen, Graham Dutfield and Guido Westkamp present on Intellectual Property in Agriculture, in Burkina Faso
6 November 2014
- Professor Guido Westkamp to give the opening lecture for Intellectual Property programme at the SS Cyril and Methodius University in Macedonia
11 November 2013
- European Intellectual Property Institutes Network Congress 2012 in London
26 April 2012