Skip to main content
Global Opportunities

Exchange Programmes

Our Exchange Programmes allow you to spend part of your undergraduate degree abroad studying at one of over 140 partner institutions across 37 countries both within and beyond Europe.

Student interviews

Cover of the Go Abroad flyer Hear what our students, like Charlotte who went to Boston College, have to say about their experiences in our videos, visit our blog to find out what studying abroad is like, and download our flyer to learn more about how the Outgoing Student Exchange Programme at Queen Mary works: Go Abroad Flyer 2021 [PDF 6,415KB]

Want to speak to a Student Ambassador about their exchange experience abroad?

Visit the profiles of our many Global Opportunities Ambassadors in order to send them your questions.

How does it work?

  • You can spend a semester or a year at one of our many partner institutions. The process to apply for destinations takes place centrally with the Global Opportunities Office and takes place the year prior to your exchange year.
  • Most of Queen Mary’s regular Bachelor programmes are available "with a year abroad" (WAYA), in which case you would spend your entire third year abroad. Alternatively, as a first-year student on a three-year degree programme, you could spend the first semester of your second year abroad. 
  • Your exchange period will count towards your Queen Mary degree.
  • Different kinds of funding are available to support you for a learning period abroad. There is additional financial support for disadvantaged students. Read more about this on our Finance and also its subpages providing more detail on various funding sources.

The importance of your academic school/department

Your Queen Mary academic school (or department) is central to where you can go: it depends on the exchange agreements your department has with our partner institutions and if they've agreed that a university-wide destination beyond Europe is suitable for your degree programme. You can see where you can study under Where can I go? page for all destinations.

Your academic Coordinator

Each academic school also has a dedicated School/Department Coordinator for outbound exchange-related matters. Find out who your School/Department Coordinator is.

Back to top