Professor Richard Schilling
Centre: CV Medicine and Devices
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44(0) 20 3465 5398
I have been the lead of the academic department of cardiac electrophysiology since my appointment at St Bartholomew’s and Queen Mary University of London. On my arrival at St Barts academic activity had been dormant for some years. The department has concentrated on clinical research and has been successful in gaining funding from both peer reviewed grants and industry allowing us to grow steadily over the last 5 years. We now have 2 offices which house 3 research fellows, 3 nurses and a research administrator. In addition we have acquired the following clinical research equipment: Electroanatomical 3-D cardiac mapping system, non-contact mapping research analysis station, ECG machine, 3 Holters (7-day), VO2 max measurement equipment, bedside BNP monitoring, Hansen robotic ablation system. My research interests focus on elucidating the mechanism of complex cardiac arrhythmia in the human heart and the development of percutaneous treatments for them. All of my research has been performed in vivo on the intact human heart. Clinical conditions we have investigated include ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation in structural heart disease, congenital heart disease, atrial fibrillation and cardiac dyssynchrony in heart failure.
For a full list of publications click here
- Page, S., Duncan, E., Thomas, G., Ginks, M., Earley, M., Sporton, S., Dhinoja, M. & Schilling, R. (2012) Epicardial catheter ablation for ventricular tachycardia in heparinized patients. Europace. Sep 21 published ahead of print.
- Schilling, R., Camm, J., Lip, G., Grace, A., Fay, M., Fitzpatrick, A., Wolff, A. & Lobban, T. (2012) Seek referral to a heart rhythm specialist for atrial fibrillation. BMJ. 344-e4318.
- D'Ascenzo, F., Corleto, A., Biondi-Zoccai, G., Anselmino, M., Ferraris, F., di Biase, L., Natale, A., Hunter, R. Schilling, R., Miyazaki, S., Tada, H., Aonuma, K., Yenn-Jiang, L., Tao, H., Ma, C., Packer, D., Hammill, S. & Gaita, F. (2012) Which are the most reliable predictors of recurrence of atrial fibrillation after transcatheter ablation?: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Cardiology. May 22.
- Duncan, E., Finlay, M., Page, S., Hunter, R., Goromonzi, F., Richmond, L., Baker, V., Ginks, M., Ezzat, V., Dhinoja, M., Earley, M., Sporton, S. & Schilling, R. (2012) Improved electrogram attenuation during ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation with the Hansen robotic system. Pacing & Clinical Electrophysiology. 35(6): 730-738.
- Hunter, R., Liu, Y., Lu, Y., Wang, W. & Schilling, R. (2012) Left atrial wall stress distribution and its relationship to electrophysiologic remodeling in persistent atrial fibrillation. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 5(2): 351-360.
- Barts Charity
- British Heart Foundation
- Biosense Webster
- Boston Scientific
- St Jude Medical
- Hansen Medical