Skip to main content
Advice and Counselling Service

Other practicalities

Information about practicalities when interrupting, re-sitting out of attendance or are no longer attending a course at Queen Mary.

If you interrupt, withdraw or are de-registered from your course, your access to Queen Mary facilities may be reduced or become unavailable to you.

However  if you have interrupted or are re-sitting out of attendance and need access to a particular resource, some access may be given if your academic school agrees to make a request for you to have use of a facility which they feel you specifically need. 

If you feel there are strong reasons why your studies are being adversely affected because you don’t have access to a certain Queen Mary facility during your interruption or re-sit out of attendance, contact your academic school to discuss this. There is more information on the Registry pages.  

If you are an international student and are in the UK with Student Immigration Permission, you are not normally able to remain in the UK while you are not attending your course.  For information visit about how your Student Immigration Permission is affected visit our Changes to your Studies page for international students.

Student Funding

Changes to study can affect your student funding and your funding entitlement for your current course or for a new course.  So, it’s important to check how your funding entitlement will be affected. 

We have information about how it can be affected in our Student Funding Implications page.


Changes to study such as withdrawing, interrupting, or re-sitting all affect Student Immigration Permission. You can find information about this on the Changes to Studies page.

If you intend to spend time outside of the UK and you hold EU Pre-Settled Status check how absences from the UK can affect this and your eligibility to obtain Settled Status in the Future in our information about the EU Settlement Scheme.

Academic school or institute

While you have interrupted your studies or if you are re-sitting out of attendance you might only have limited contact with academic staff.     Contact  your academic school or institute, Personal Adviser, Tutor, or Student Support Officer if you have questions .

Some schools have specific support in place to help students to remain engaged with their studies and to remedy any academic issues that have affected progression.  

If you are a research student contact the Research Degrees Office

You could also contact the Queen Mary Learning Development team . 


Your library access will stop once your withdrawal or de-registration is processed and your Mysis record updated with this information. 

If you interrupt or re-sit out of attendance, you will still have access to the Library but the number of items you can borrow is reduced. 

IT Services

Your access to IT Services will normally remain the same while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. However, if you do not use your email account for a long time, you may be sent an email asking if you want to keep the account open. If you do not respond to this email, and you are not enrolled, your email account will be disabled.

Normally IT login accounts are closed soon after a student completes their course or are no longer registered as a student at Queen Mary.  IT Services advise backing up any data you wish to keep before your course end date on Mysis or before your student record on Mysis is updated.

QMUL IT Services with any queries.

Careers and Enterprise

You can use the Careers and Enterprise Service while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance.   Students who leave their course prematurely can use the service while they have a Queen Mary login.  This is usually 3 months post leaving or being de-registered. 

Disability and Dyslexia Service

Even if you have not previously been supported by the Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS),  you can still contact them about your circumstances while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance. 

If you normally receive support from DDS, they may be able to continue to provide some reduced support while you take time away from your studies or re-sit our of attendance.

It can also be helpful to contact the Disability and Dyslexia Service to get advice about what support you might need when you resume your studies, if you are taking time out because of ill-health, a disability, or a mental health issue.  

Support normally ends once you are no longer a student at Queen Mary and any reasonable adjustments will no longer be required once you stop following your course. If you receive the Disabled Students Allowance this will also come to an end.

Advice and Counselling

You can use the Advice and Counselling Service, even if you have not previously done so, while you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance.  We may be able to offer limited support if you have recently withdrawn or been de-registered from your course. You can read our Access Policy for information.


I live in Queen Mary University of London Residences  

If you live in Queen Mary Residences and interrupt, re-sit out of attendance, withdraw, are de-registered or you transfer to a different university, you will not normally be able to stay in your accommodation and will need to move out. 

As soon as Queen Mary has approved your change of circumstances, you will need to provide a copy of the relevant documentation to Queen Mary Housing Services. You will then be asked to complete a ‘Notice of Intention to Vacate’ form giving 28 days’ written notice to leave your  Queen Mary accommodation. 

You will remain liable for residential fees for the full 28 days unless Housing Services are able to re-let your accommodation sooner. Once the 28 day period has expired and you have returned your keys, your liability will cease. 

See the Moving out early section of the Residents’ Handbook for more information.  

I live in privately rented accommodation  

If you are renting accommodation from a private property owner, and you need to move out because of a change to your academic studies, you need to carefully check the terms of your contract. If you have signed a contract for a set period such as nine months or a year, you cannot normally give notice to end your tenancy until the fixed term has ended, unless the contract contains a ‘break clause’ allowing you to give notice part way through. Contact Queen Mary Housing Serviceswith a copy of your tenancy agreement or contract for advice about your options.  

Council Tax

You retain your full-time student status during an interruption of study or re-sit out of attendance, and so you would normally remain exempt from having to pay Council Tax. The rules are explained in our Council Tax guidance.

Once you withdraw from or if you are are de-registered from your course, you are no longer a full-time student and so you cannot claim Council Tax exemption on that basis.  

18+ Student Oystercard

If you have an 18+ Student Oystercard, Queen Mary University of London will notify Transport for London (TFL) that you are no longer in attendance. When TFL receives this notification, they will cancel your student discount, but you can continue to use your Oystercard as a standard Oyster card. 

If you resume your studies, you will need to pay for a new 18+ Student Oystercard.  

NUS Extra Card

If you already have an NUS Totum card this is unlikely to be cancelled if you are no longer attending. 

If you are interrupting or re-sitting out of attendance, and you do not already have an NUS Extra card, it should still be possible to apply for one.  

National Railcard/Coach card

Queen Mary does not send reports or provide information about a students interruption or withdrawal from their course for these  cards.  However, if you have already interrupted your studies or are already out of attendance and wish to apply for a new card, theStudent Enquiry Centre will not normally stamp the application form as it asks for confirmation of attendance. 

Back to top