Skip to main content
Advice and Counselling Service

Repeating, interrupting, transferring or withdrawing

During your course you may decide to take time out of your course, withdraw or transfer to another course or your School may decide that you need to repeat, re-sit or re-take a year.   

A change in studies can affect your student funding entitlement, your tuition fee liability, financial options and, if you are an international student, it can also affect your student visa.  So it is very important to understand how these will be affected.  For information about all of these, choose from the following:

Whatever your reason for making the change, staff at Queen Mary can support and advise you.

If you are choosing to make the change yourself then it is important not to rush into a decision until you have really thought about it.

Talking to someone who is used to advising students about these matters might help you to consider options you did not know about. There may also be financial implications or immigration implications or a combination of both and you can find important advice in these pages to help you make your decision. 

Think about your decision 

Many students have doubts about whether they can continue with their studies. You might feel that you have rushed your decision about coming to university or feel that you would be more suited to a different course. University life and studying at degree level can be very different to your expectations. Sometimes personal or financial circumstances mean that you cannot give your studies the attention that you would like to.   

  • Are you worried about your English language skills, writing essays or preparing for exams? 
  • Is your programme of study really the main problem? Maybe other issues in your life are affecting your ability to study?
  • Do you feel pressured to study a subject that you don’t really enjoy? 
  • Do you need to know more about other study or career options before you can make an informed decision? 
  • Are you finding it difficult to adjust to the education system in the UK? 
  • Is this the right time for you to be at university? 

If these questions sound familiar, it is important to get accurate information before making a decision: 

  • A Counsellor, Mental Health Adviser or Welfare Adviser in the Advice and Counselling Servicecan help you to think through your options and offer you support with practical, financial, immigration, mental health or other personal issues. 
  • Your Personal Adviser or Tutor in your academic school can advise you about the academic options are available to you. There is a Student Support Officer in most academic schools and they are usually your first point of contact for this type of issue. They can advise on the academic implications and options for your course. 
  • The QM Disability and Dyslexia Service can offer you advice on the support available to you if you have long-term ill health, a disability, a mental health condition, or a specific learning disability. 
  • Contact Queen Mary Careers and Enterprise to find out about other courses or career options.  
  • Find out about study skills support at Queen Mary. 
Back to top