Skip to main content
Advice and Counselling Service


Withdrawing means leaving your course and Queen Mary completely.

If you are thinking about withdrawing, make sure that you talk your decision through with somebody first. This might be your personal tutor, Your School Student Support Officer or a member of staff at the Advice and Counselling Service.  Research Students should speak with their supervisor. 

Withdrawing can affect your academic options, your tuition fee liability and payments, your funding entitlement and your Student immigration permission and right to remain in the UK as explained in the Fees, Funding, and Immigration section below.

Once you withdraw, you will no longer be a Queen Mary student and access to university facilities and services will end. Our information about other practicalities to consider has further information about this. 

When should I withdraw? 

Most taught programmes now have two assessment periods, one in January following Semester 1 teaching and one in May following Semester 2 teaching. The deadline for submission of the withdrawal form for most programmes is the day before the start of these assessment periods. Always check the deadline for withdrawing with your Academic School.  

If you miss the deadline, you will normally be entered for examinations/assessment and would need to talk to your School/Institute about submitting extenuating circumstances if you are unable to attend/submit work.  If you miss these dates, you can still withdraw but your last date of attendance on the withdrawal form cannot normally be backdated to before the exam period.  

The Queen Mary Academic calendar has information about assessment and exam period dates. 

If you missed the withdrawal deadline but you feel that you are unfit to sit exams or to submit coursework due to medical or personal reasons, you can make an Guide to extenuating circumstances  claim to your academic school. This will involve getting documentation to give to your school as evidence to support your claim.  

If you do not sit exams or submit coursework, and you do not submit an extenuating circumstance claim, you will normally be given a zero fail for those assessments.  

The date you withdraw may also affect your tuition fee liability and it can affect your funding which in turn could have an impact of the funds you have to pay any outstanding tuition fee.  For information visit our Tuition Fee implications page.

What form do I complete? 

If you decide that this is the best option for you, you will need to complete a withdrawal of study form, which your academic school will need to sign to say approve your withdrawal. They will then pass it to the Registry so your student record is updated. 

You can get a Withdrawal of Study form and guidance notes online or from theStudent Enquiry Centre, ground floor,  iQ East Court, Mile End Road (on the opposite side to the campus), or from the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus.  

If you are a Research student, you need to complete a ‘Withdrawal from University’ form available from the Research Degrees Office  online. You will need to discuss the form, and your proposed withdrawal from Queen Mary, with your supervisor or director of graduate studies. Make some copies of the completed form for your own records before submitting it to the Research Degrees Office. 

How will this affect my fees, funding, or immigration status? 

Withdrawing affects funding, Student visa's, the funding you receive for your current course and can also affect your student funding entitlement for a new course.  It can alter tuition fee liability although withdrawing does not necessarily cancel tuition fee liability and there may still be a tuition fee to pay. 

Tuition Fees 

To find out how Tuition fees liability can be affected read our Tuition Fee information.

Student Funding 

If you receive UK Government Student Funding, this will stop when you withdraw. Your entitlement to funding will be recalculated based on your withdrawal date and this may result in an overpayment of loan which you will be asked to repay. This differs for undergraduate and postgraduate funding. For further information and to find out how this is affected visit our Student funding implications page.  

If you are an international student and have a financial sponsor e.g., your government or other organisation, you will need to check with them how your funding is affected if you withdraw. 

If you receive a Scholarship from Queen Mary, also check when this will end, contact the Research Degrees office.  


If you are in the UK with Student Immigration Permission and are no longer registered on your course, this will be reported to the UKVI who will curtail (shorten) your immigration permission as the University cannot continue to sponsor students who are no longer registered or attending their course.  You can find further information about this and other Immigration factors to consider on the Visa and fee implications to changes in your programme. 

Back to top