About Inter-Library Loans
The Inter-Library Loans service allows eligible users to obtain documents not immediately available to Queen Mary Library students and staff, including:
- Journal articles & journal volumes
- Books & book chapters
- Conference proceedings
This is service is currently available to:
- Queen Mary staff
- Postgraduate research students (PGR)
- Postgraduate taught students (PGT)
Undergraduates will be given access at a later date in the 2021/2022 academic year.
Placing an Inter-Library Loan request
The inter-library loans service is the service of last resort for acquiring material. Please ensure you have searched these channels before you make a request otherwise your request may be cancelled:
- QM library search
- Senate House Library
- E-Journals by Subject
- A-Z list of Databases
- JISC Hub - to search for Open Access resources or material from the British Library
One you are satisfied that you cannot obtain the material from any of the channels above, please use the inter-library loan request forms to place your request. When submitting your request, please pay particular attention to the mandatory information in bold.
How long will it take?
- Digital articles and chapters – we aim to deliver these within 24 hours (Mon – Fri)
- Digital articles and chapters from the British Library – within 5 days
- Loanable (physical) items from British Library – within 10 days
- Items from other UK and overseas institutions - dependent on availability
Whilst every effort is made to locate requested items, there may be occasions when they cannot be obtained.
Receiving your Inter-Library Loan request
Details on how to access digital articles and chapters will be sent directly to your QMUL email inbox.
Loanable items (e.g. books) can be collected from your home library. You will be notified by email when they have arrived. Please be aware that the British Library may provide a 'reference only' item. These items must not be removed from the library, but can be used within the library.
External Libraries and Institutions
Requests from other institutions can be made by sending an email to email@example.com. The email should include the following details:
- Your British Library customer number
- Your reference number for the request
- Request details (Title, Author, year, page numbers, volume/issue if relevant)
Payment is charged at the current British Library rate.
Requests for Queen Mary theses may be made through the British Library's EThOS.
Requests from outside the UK are accepted. We accept IFLA vouchers as payment and will inform as to the number of vouchers required upon receipt of your request.
For additional support or to provide feedback, please email the library circulation team: firstname.lastname@example.org