11 Feb 1882, the first meeting took place to discuss the proposed establishment of a Ladies College in London using an endowment of £10,000 from Miss Ann Dudin Brown.
Rev. James B Fleming was elected as the first Chairman of Council.
The College for Ladies at Westfield located in Maresfield Gardens in Hampstead opened with 5 students. Constance Louisa Maynard was the College's first Mistress and Miss Katherine Tristram was the only resident staff.
The first teaching staff were appointed comprising: Miss Katherine Tristrum (1882-1888) who left in 1888 to take up an appointment as the Head of the Bishop Poole Memorial School in Osaka, Japan. Miss Frances Gray (1883-1894), Resident Lecturer. Miss Mary Petrie, Visiting Lecturer, Miss Anne W Richardson, Resident Lecturer and Miss Josephine Willoughby (later Mrs Adams Clark), Resident Lecturer (appointed Jan-April 1887). Miss Beloe, Resident Lecturer (1889).
The Trust Deed was drawn up, establishing the constitution of the College and the Council.
The first graduands of Westfield were presented for London degrees: Anne Richardson, Marie Pechinet and Emily Thompson.
The College began to be referred to as Westfield College.
The College purchased Kidderpore Hall (later known as Old House) on Kidderpore Avenue, West Hampstead.
The New Wing (later known as Maynard Wing) was constructed. It was designed by Robert Falconer MacDonald, and provided accommodation for residents, a dining hall and an attic laboratory.
Lady Day 1891, the College relocated to permanent purpose built buildings in Kidderpore Avenue. The name of Westfield College was formally adopted.
The first issue of Hermes was published, a magazine for alumni.
Rev. William Hagger Barlow was elected to Chairman of Council.
Miss Lilian Janie Whitby was appointed as lecturer in mathematics.
The University of London became a teaching body as well as an examining body.
Miss Sturdwick (left in 1905) and Caroline Skeel were appointed. Miss Skeel had been a Visiting Lecturer since 1895.
Westfield College Association was founded.
Miss McDougall was appointed to the post of Classics Lecturer. Westfield College was admitted as a School of the University of London in the Arts.
The new building (later known as the Skeel Building) was completed. It housed a purpose built Library and lecture rooms.
The South Wing (later known as the Dudin Brown Wing) was completed.
Miss Ellen Marion Delf was appointed to teach Botany. This led to the founding of the Botany Department at Westfield.
Caroline Skeel resigned.
Lord Alverstone, Lord Chief Justice of England, was elected to Chairman of Council.
The University of London approved the Laboratory for preparation of students for the final BSc Exam standard in Botany.
Caroline Skeel returned to her former post.
Charlotte Paquier, Lecturer in French since 1899 and also Lecturer at East London College, left. It was under Intercollegiate teaching programmes that men students first appeared at Westfield, namely to take Miss Paquier's course.
Sept 1913, Miss Maynard resigned as Mistress of Westfield College. Miss Agnes de Selincourt was appointed to Principal of Westfield College.
Outbreak of World War One 28 July 1914.
The first Divinity Lecture given by William Temple took place. Miss McDougall left to become the first mistress of the Women's Christian College in Madras, India.
Oct 1915, the University of London recognised the Botanical Laboratory for Honours work, which allowed Westfield students to sit for Honours BSc as Internal students.
Rev. William Temple was elected Chairman of Council.
31 Aug 1917, Death of Miss de Selincourt from a tetanus injection following a bicycling accident. Appointment of Miss Anne W Richardson as Acting Principal.
The I Fang Girls Collegiate School was opened in China by former Westfield College student Pao Swen Tseng. Miss Tseng was the first Chinese woman to obtain a London Honours Degree in Botany.
Amendment of the Trust Deed. The University of London established the University Grants Committee (UGC) to advise the University Treasury on grants to universities and colleges.
Miss Bertha Surtees Phillpotts became Principal of Westfield College.
World War One came to an end when the armistice was signed.
Miss Evelyn Gedge was appointed Secretary to Council. The Westfield College Union Society was established, with the Principal as Honorary President.
Sir Thomas W.H. Inskip (later Lord Caldecote) was elected to Chairman of Council upon the resignation of William Temple, who become Bishop of Manchester.
Miss Eleanor Lodge was appointed to Principal of Westfield College. Miss Lodge began a College Log Book, recording key events. A wooden building which became known as 'The Hut' was erected to serve as a Botanical Laboratory. The University of London Union was launched.
The Bay was completed, (on a site formerly occupied by the Conservatory, that had been demolished in 1914). It was used to house a domestic block containing new kitchens and servant's quarters, and an extra reading room.
Miss Anne Richardson retired. Miss Skeel advanced to Chair and became Westfield's first Professor.
When Bernard E.C. Davis became Reader in English and Head of Department he also became the first man on the full-time staff.
H.M The Queen [Queen Mary] visited the College.
The Chapman Wing was completed. The decision was taken to name individual College buildings. The Old Wing was renamed Maynard Wing, the New Wing was renamed Dudin Brown Wing, the new building was named Chapman Wing and the New Library was renamed Skeel Library.
Miss Skeel resigned on grounds of ill health. She was the founder of Westfield's School of History.
Under the University of London Act 1926, the position of Westfield College as a School of the University was confirmed. The Head of Westfield College was included among 9 Heads of Schools of the University to be members of the Senate.
May 1929, Miss Lodge became the first principal to take her place on the Senate of the University of London.
The College Chapel opened and the foundation stone was laid in dedication to Miss Richardson in July 1928.
Dorothy Chapman was appointed Principal of Westfield College.
Westfield College jubilee year.
Grant of the Royal Charter, Incorporating the College.
Grant of the College Arms.
Completion of the Orchard Wing.
Outbreak of World War II.
Mrs Mary Stocks was appointed as Principal of Westfield College in 1939. Westfield College was relocated to St Peter's Hall in Oxford once war broke out. The Orchard building was let to the Tavistock Clinic from 1939, and the Young Women's Christian Association let the College buildings from 1940. In 1940 Selincourt Hall suffered bomb damage.
A large part of the College buildings, including Old House, were requisitioned by the Admiralty for training the Women's Royal Navy Service.
The Heads of Department were given a place on the Council for the first time.
Westfield College returned to London.
Divinity Lectures were revived under the title Maynard-Chapman Divinity Lectures were opened to the public.
In 1948 Ellen Delf Smith retired. In accordance with a decision by the University of London, Westfield College ceased to admit students for a natural science degree. As a result between 1948 and 1950 Westfield gradually relinquished teaching Botany.
Miss Kathleen Chesney was appointed Principal of Westfield College.
Rev Ellison was elected Chairman of Council.
Westfield College was formally acknowledged by the University of London as a School in the Faculty of Science.
The new Science Building was completed. Westfield College began offering degrees in Botany, Zoology, Physics and Chemistry.
Queen Elizabeth II formally opened the Science Building.
Mrs Pamela Matthews was appointed as Principal of Westfield College. She resigned in 1965.
Dr Bryan Thwaites was appointed as Principal of Westfield College. No.3 Kidderpore Avenue was purchased by the College.
Computer Services were established, as they were connected through a data link to the new central University computer.
The new Caroline Skeel Library was completed.
The first students were admitted to study Computer Science at the new Department of Computer Science and Computer Unit.
A new purpose built Halls of Residence in Kidderpore Hall was completed. The University of London's Murray Report was published. It expressed concerns about the smaller Colleges, and placed the future of Westfield College as an independent institution in question.
The Botany Department was renamed Botany and Biochemistry Department to more accurately reflect its activities.
Westfield College began to co-operate with Bedford College in teaching Classics. The Westfield College Development Trust was founded.
A decision was made to transfer the Science Faculty to Queen Mary College. The Queen Mother's Hall of Residence was completed.
Prof. John Varey was appointed as Principal of Westfield College. Most of the Science Faculty including Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Biochemistry and Zoology, and 68 members of staff were transferred to Queen Mary College in Mile End. Computer Science teaching was transferred to Kings College. Negotiations for collaboration with the Central School of Speech and Drama were rejected by the University.
The University of London Jarratt Report was published.
Negotiations took place for possible mergers with the Royal Veterinary College, Imperial College, Kings College, University College and Queen Mary College.
The Council agreed to a full merger with Queen Mary College.
The University Grants Committee and the University Court approved plans to sell the Hampstead Campus as part of the Queen Mary and Westfield College merger and use the funds for new constructions and modifications to the Mile End Campus.
The Westfield Trust was formed.
The first meeting of Westfield Trust took place.
Queen Mary and Westfield College were created by the approval of the Queen Mary and Westfield College Act.
Queen Mary and Westfield College was inaugurated. All departments were transferred with the exception of the Department of History of Art which transferred to University College London.
Half of the Hampstead Campus was sold to Kings College for occupation from 1992.
Westfield College was transferred from Hampstead to Mile End to complete the inauguration of Queen Mary and Westfield College.