Picture from the archives of John Turner MacGregor-Morris (1872-1959), Professor Electrical Engineering. Morris joined East London College in 1898, where his roles included, Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering, 1901, College Professor 1903, University Professor 1924, Fellow Queen Mary College 1938 and of University College London.
During the First World War he cooperated with a research student, A.F.Sykes, in the development of a design for a directional hydrophone which was taken up by the Admiralty. Contributed to the establishment of the high voltage laboratory at East London College. He was an Honorary Research Associate in Electrical Engineering at University College London from 1939, and Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering at the University of London from 1938.
Morris was at East London College at the same time as Albert Thurston was establishing teaching in Aeronautics, and his papers include material relating to Thurston.
Find out more in the Discovery in Science and Engineering Gallery.