Skip to main content
Library Services

The Caroline Skeel Archives Reading Room

Black and white image from 1937 of people lining the street and cars parked in the road for the opening of the New Peoples Palace

After the Queen’s Hall was destroyed by fire in 1931 the People’s Palace was rebuilt and reopened in 1936, next to the Queens’ Building. Cultural events continued to be provided until the 1954, when the People’s Palace was purchased by Queen Mary College and refurbished to provide an entrance to the Queens’ Building.

See more examples from the collection in the People’s Palace Gallery or to read contemporary accounts see the digitised Palace Journal.

Back to top