Skip to main content
Library Services

The Caroline Skeel Archives Reading Room

Black and white photograph from about 1900 of a classroom in the technical schools. Young boys sit at desks with their heads down drawing and using rulers.

Queen Mary College has its origins in the establishment of The People’s Palace Technical Schools in 1887. The College was known by different names over the years, including People’s Palace Technical Schools (1887-1996), East London Technical College (1896-1905), East London College (1905-1934) and Queen Mary College (1934-1989).  The name changes reflect the expansion and development of the College from a technical school, to a higher education institution, and a College of the University of London.

Back to top