Visiting Research Student
The Visiting Research Student Scheme is for doctoral research students who are pursuing studies at another institution but wish to undertake research at The School of Law as part of their doctoral work. The minimum period of registration is two months and the maximum is one year.
Please allow up to four weeks for application to be processed; where possible you should give at least three months’ notice prior to application. All visiting students can only enrol on the 1st of the month.
We also welcome a number of academics on our Visiting Scholars programme.
Fees for Visiting Research Students (M1ER / M1ER) 2020-21
- Up to one month = £315
- Up to two months = £630
- One semester = £1,260
- Full academic year (September to September) = £3,750
Fee waiver requests will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
How to apply
To apply, email email@example.com to request an application form. In addition to the application form, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Detailed research proposal
- Application Form (Attached)
- Cover Letter
- Research Proposal
- Undergraduate and postgraduate Transcripts & Certificates (with certified translations if applicable)
- Two References on official headed paper
- English Language Qualifications (IELTS or equivalent scores of 5.5 or above from the last 2 years or a master’s degree taught in English from the last 5 years)
- [We are now accepting the new TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test. This is being offered by ETS on a temporary basis, whilst English language test centres are closed. It’s available everywhere that TOEFL iBT testing is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran. Test format and scoring are the same as for the TOEFL test we already accept, and results usually become available in 6-10 days. Test scores will verified online by the Admissions team. Please see the ETS TOEFL page for further details.]
- Official Letter issued by your university stating your PhD status (with certified translation if applicable)
You should clearly indicate your reasons for wishing to undertake research within the School of Law.
The deadlines for 2020/21 are:.
|Application deadline||Visit start date|
|1 July 2020||1 September 2020|
|1 October 2020||1 January 2020|
|1 February 2021||1 May 2021|
|1 July 2021||1 September 2021|
|1 October 2021||1 January 2022|
Visiting Research Students are registered by the college as Associate Students. You will have access to the same range of facilities as standard PhD students including:
- School of Law resources and activities, including attendance at School of law programmes and research seminars
- QMUL library (Mile End)
- IALS library (Russell Square)
- IP Archive (IALS)
- Electronic resources
- Computer facilities, including wireless
- Hot-desk space (at Mile End or Lincoln's Inn Fields)
Visiting Research Students are not entitled to apply for funding for travel grants and conferences or studentships of any kind.