Visiting Research Student
The Visiting Research Student Scheme is for doctoral research students who are pursuing studies at another institution but wish to undertake research at the School of Law as part of their doctoral work. The minimum period of registration is two months and the maximum is one year.
Please allow up to four weeks for application to be processed; where possible you should give at least three months’ notice prior to application.
We also welcome a number of academics on our Visiting Scholars programme.
Fees for Visiting Research Students
Depending on your area of research, one of the following fee bandings will apply:
- £0 per month
- £100 per month
- £400 per month
You will be notified which fee banding applies to you at point of offer.
How to apply
To apply, email email@example.com to request an application form. In addition to the application form, you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Confirmation of student status letter from your current institution, to include dates of registration
- Degree transcripts. Please provide a transcript of your degree(s). If you have not yet completed your degree please provide a transcript of your results achieved to date
- If your degree was from a UK university, please upload a transcript of your marks for each year
- If your degree was from an overseas institution, you should supply a transcript of your marks for each year of your studies and a copy of your degree certificate together with a certified translation if the document is not in English. Please note that original documentation will be required before you enrol. International applicants are also advised to include high school transcripts
- Statement of purpose. This should explain why you want to study your chosen programme and how it will help your life and career.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Resume
- English language test certificate (if applicable)
- International/EU applicants should provide evidence of English language ability: IELTS, TOEFL, or other acceptable proof. Please see the international students section for more details.
You should clearly indicate your reasons for wishing to undertake research within the School of Law.
The deadlines for 2020/21 are:.
|Application deadline||Visit start date|
|1 June 2020||1 September 2020|
|1 October 2020||2 January 2021|
|1 January 2021||4 April 2021|
|1 June 2021||1 September 2021|
|1 October 2021||2 January 2022|
|1 January 2022||4 April 2022|
Visiting Research Students are registered by the college as Associate Students. You will have access to the same range of facilities as standard PhD students including:
- School of Law resources and activities, including attendance at School of law programmes and research seminars
- QMUL library (Mile End)
- IALS library (Russell Square)
- IP Archive (IALS)
- Electronic resources
- Computer facilities, including wireless
- Hot-desk space (at Mile End or Lincoln's Inn Fields)
Visiting Research Students are not entitled to apply for funding for travel grants and conferences or studentships of any kind.