Dr Ulrich Wuermeling, Dr. iur. (Würzburg), LLM (London), Rechtsanwalt (Germany), Solicitor (England and Wales)
Visiting Professor for Privacy and Data Protection Law
Ulrich Wuermeling specialises in privacy and data protection law and is an attorney at the law firm Latham & Watkins in London. His academic and professional work focuses on European data protection law. He obtained his LLM in International Business Law from Queen Mary University of London in 1993 and wrote his LLM thesis on the - then draft - European Data Protection Directive. In 1998, he obtained his doctorate from the University of Würzburg with a thesis titled “Trade Barrier Privacy”. He regularly speaks at conferences and publishes on data protection law issues and is co-editor of the blog Global Privacy and Secrutiy Compliance Law blog. Since 2000, he is chairman of the annual Data Protection Conference (Datenschutzkongress) in Berlin. Prior to joining the London office of Latham & Watkins, he headed the German Technology Transactions practice and was global co-chair of the Information Technology Industry Practice Group of the firm. As an attorney, he advises on complex data protection matters and has represented clients in a large number of high profile disputes with data protection authorities, consumer protection groups and individuals.
- CCLP209 EU Data Protection Law
- SOLM209 EU Data Protection Law
Selected English Language Publications
- Modernization of European data protection law at a turning point, Computer Law & Security Review, Issue 28, 2012, pp. 587‐588.
- Germany introduces new HR privacy regulations, Privacy Laws & Business International Newsletter, April 2010, p. 22.
- Germany: Instant dismissal for private use of the Internet at work, Privacy Laws & Business International Newsletter, December 2005, p. 6.
- New German Digital Signature Act to Come into Force, Computer Law and Security Report (CLSR 2001), p. 284.
- New Data Protection Laws Adopted in Germany. Jointly with Daniel Widstrand, Privacy Laws and Business International Newsletter, May 2001, p. 3‐4.
- E‐Commerce – Germany: Implementation of the E‐Commerce‐Directive in Germany. Jointly with Thies Deike, Computer Law & Security Report, Issue 3, 2001, pp. 168‐169.
- E‐Commerce – Germany: Implementation of the E‐Commerce‐Directive in Germany.
- EU's Privacy Directive Endangers World Commerce, IP Worldwide Intellectual Property, Issue 1, 1999, pp. 3 ‐ 6.
- Multimedia Law ‐ Germany, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 1, 1998, pp. 41 ‐ 44.
- Harmonisation of European Union Privacy Law, The John Marshall Journal of Computer & Information Law 1996, Volume 14, No. 3, pp. 411‐460.
- Software Protection in Germany ‐ Recent Court Decisions in Copyright Law. Jointly with Andreas Günther, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 1, 1995, pp. 15 ‐ 17.
- The German Implementation of the EC Directive on Software Protection. Jointly with Andreas Günther, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 4, 1993, pp. 176 ‐ 179.
- Germany: International Computer Crime Conference, International Enforcement Law Reporter, Issue 10, 1992, pp. 493 ‐ 495.
- German and English Law Against Computer Crime ‐ A Comparative Survey, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 3, 1990, pp. 15 ‐ 16.
- New Dimensions of Computer‐Crime, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 4, 1989,pp. 20 ‐ 21.
German Language Publications
- Over 50 academic and over 100 other publications on privacy, IT, Internet and telecommunications
- 1990 ‐ 2007, Co‐Editor of the German Data Protection Advisor (Datenschutz‐Berater).
- Over 150 conference and seminar presentations as well over 50 newspaper, radio and television interviews on privacy, IT, Internet and telecommunications law.
- Since 1998, moderator of one of the leading data protection conferences in Germany (Euroforum Datenschutzkongress).
- November 2013, speaker at the Academy of European Law, Trier, on the European Data Protection Reform and Cloud Computing.
- October 2012, expert advisor for the German Parliament in a public hearing on the European Data Protection Reform.
- October 2012, speaker at a conference of the Alexander von Humboldt University in Berlin and the German Ministry of Interior on the European Data Protection Reform.