Preparing for Your Appointment
Once you have booked your careers appointment, it is important to think about how you can make the most of it.
We provide a range of support to help you prepare for your future. Depending on the type of appointment you have booked, we might ask you to do some things before your appointment slot. This will be outlined in your confirmation email.
Watch our Preparing for Your Appointment video above to find out more.
- Arrive on time to maximise the full 20 minutes.
- Decide on one or two specific things that you want to talk about.
- Think about what you want to reasonably achieve in the session.
- Check out our online resources for help getting started.
- Your Careers Consultant will ask what you want from your session and find out what stage you are at.
- Together you’ll agree a focus and your next step.
- We will work in partnership with you to move you forward in whatever way is best for you. This might be one of the following:
- Gaining an understanding of the graduate job market
- Assessing your skills, career values and experiences
- Learning how to present yourself confidently to employers in person or on your CV
- Getting advice on how to handle employers’ selection processes
- Identifying different job hunting methods and career resources
- Talking through decisions around jobs or postgraduate study
- Deciding on the most appropriate next step towards your plan
- Take your agreed actions and use our for further support, or browse information in the Careers and Enterprise Centre.
- Visit us or call 020 7882 8533 to book a follow up appointment if necessary.